Q about 1980s trunk release button

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

LincolnCarQ

Q about 1980s trunk release button

Post by LincolnCarQ »

my question is for the Lincoln town car models early 1980s where was the trunk release at? Could you pop it from like a release lever over by the driver side or was it in the glove compartment? And did the key have to be in the car in order to pop the trunk from inside the car?

I am writing a screenplay that has a scene with a early 1980s Lincoln town car in it and just want to be accurate. If somebody was sitting in the seat would they be able to look over and see the trunk release or?
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Q about 1980’s trunks

Post by Lee »

I can’t help with the trunk release, but after watching thousands of Hollywood movies, I would personally appreciate it if the rear view mirror wasn’t removed, and the dash lights aren’t so bright as to blind the driver and passenger. You know, just for accuracy😉
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I can answer the question. In the early-'80s, a remote trunk release was still an optional novelty for most cars. Those that did have it had the release button located in the glove box, on the left side, a yellow pushbutton visible when the glove box hatch was opened. The driver could reach it, but that would mean leaning across the front seat(s). That was the case with Lincolns that were fitted with that option.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I think it would have an electric switch, so the ignition would need to be on. For a vacuum control, the engine would need to be running.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

They did already go electric; Lincoln went electric by '72, possibly earlier. So, the key would have to be in ON or ACC position to use the button.

On a side note, I'm not sure whether the engine had to be running for the old '60s vacuum release. That option was tapped into the power locks, which were designed to work even with the engine off, at least for several cycles before the vacuum supply ran out. I may be wrong as I never had a vacuum release in my cars; but from what I read in the shop manuals I think they could still be used with the engine off.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tony, you’re right. At least my ‘62 has a vacuum reservoir for the trunk release, and good for quite a few unlocking cycles in fact.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

The glove box was the location for most American cars back then so even if you didn't see it thats where most people would have looked. Reason being you could lock the glove box and then valet or whoever you've given the ignition key to can't get into the trunk.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
LincolnCarQ

Re: Q about 1980s trunk release button

Post by LincolnCarQ »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”