Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

Post by bd94s10 »

Here are a few more pics and details below. If you want to see the video where I show installing the center caps please check it out here: https://youtu.be/B-LajoxymaE

This is the AccuAir controller. The green light indicates when the compressors are on and filling the tank
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 1.jpeg
My son and I driving the car the day after I got it home
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 3.jpeg
This is the AccuAir app. This is showing the suspension % based upon the 4 sensors installed at each corner of the car. When Jimmy installs these on a ride he makes sure to use the entire travel of the sensor which ensures it is more accurate!
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 4.jpeg
Car sitting in my garage
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 5.jpeg
Holding the AccuAir Touchpad+ controller .. note it is magnetic which allows you to stick it on one of those cell phone magnetic holders etc. For now mine rests on the seat.
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 6.jpeg
Center cap before installation next to my "Smuggler's Blues" 45 (RIP Glenn Frey)
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 7.jpeg
This is the center cap and it is held on by an o-ring. Don't worry it won't come off lol.
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 8.jpeg
Center cap installed showing the billet aluminum wheel and white wall tire which is from Diamondback. Wheels were custom made by Colorado Custom Wheels out of Anaheim, CA. Diamondback Tire = Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring 225/60/17 with 2 1/4 whitewall. Tires were less than $300 each back in July 2019. Diamondback is the best! https://dbtires.com
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 9.jpeg
Car laid out with without center caps installed - I'll get more pics soon. I can control the the car suspension with the app or Touchpad+ controller. The app works via Bluetooth and is ok so far. I can see it being a novelty but its still cool to have since its just built in. I like the controller more to be honest!
Smugglers Blues Laid Out - 2.jpeg
More to come!!!!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

A few photos with the center caps installed. Also, I have some info to share soon about my high output alternator...

Laid out '64 Lincoln Continental Smuggler's Blues on 17 inch Colorado Custom Extended Lincoln wheels and Diamondback Tires ... note I do plan to leave the paint as it... more of a patina look

Image1964 Lincoln Continental convertible by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

More of a closeup of the rear driver side wheel and Diamondback Tire

A few steps back

Note, the car rides fantastic with shocks up front. The drive height is only 2 inches lowers in the front and back from stock!
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

Wow looks incredible! I'm thinking I need to start saving for an air ride kit...
1961 Sedan
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man. Its a lot of fun. I do enjoy the cars stock as well. If I had kept this car stock I would have opted for new coil springs, leaf sprints, bushings, etc. I knew when I bought this car though it was going to be customized. I'll be posting more videos of it on my YT Channel and via Lincoln Addict social media pages.
Last edited by bd94s10 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

Love the look. Have seen your post on other platforms, but love the pics, links and details you post on this forum. Love the wheels, glad to hear none of the problems with the center caps that IsotopeMotors had. You have come a long ways with this one. Much respect.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks so much man. It means a lot. Like I tell my friends I just do the stuff I love. I don't do it for really any other reason. I'm definitely a Lincoln Addict lol. I appreciate you and you positively. It means a lot!!!! I love these Colorado Custom wheels!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I put about 100 miles on my car today. Took it to Rides by the River (3rd Saturday every month at Armature Works in Tampa). Then drove over to my buddy Tony "Boss" Bolin's place to hang out (didn't take any pics there). He has about 6-9 Lincolns at his place that he is working on or about to start working on. Note: front center caps were not on today... a few reasons.... 1) last weekend I went to my buddy Jimmy's and we pulled the wheels and checked all the bolts, etc. to ensure they were tight. 2) I have a new set that arrived this week and I'm going to have them pinstriped before I install them. More to come!

Hanging with my buddy Kirk today (his Ford Ranger)

ImageSmuggler’s Blues 3.18.2023 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

A Club for fun. A buddy recently hooked me up with this

A pic right before I left downtown today

More to come. I have more plans for the car but for now I'll be driving and enjoying it as much as I can.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

A week or so go I hit Rides by The River in downtown Tampa. The event is the 3rd weekend every month. I've 4 for 4 so far in 2024 in terms of making the events. I drove my '64 and took home Best Classic. I'm not in the car/truck scene to win awards (often I give the awards I win away for my truck to kids) but I couldn't resist a free Yeti and $25 gift card to Tampa Armature Works which paid for our breakfast! I had a lady on Facebook (tied to a Lincoln Addict post I made) proceed to say the "judges must have been idiots" (lol) for giving me an award since my car was lowered. Insane the amount of hate people receive that are into lowered/airbagged cars. Heck I know they are not for everyone and everyone doesn't like them but man people online feel like they can say anything since they have a buffer (e.g. the Internet). I just smile and keep doing what I love.
Smuggler's Blues - 1.jpeg
Smuggler's Blues - 2.jpeg
Smuggler's Blues - 3.jpeg
Smuggler's Blues - 4.jpeg
Smuggler's Blues - 5.jpeg
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Checkout my new Colorado Custom center caps which I reveal in the video link below. Let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/xeFbWXoBKWI

Fashion Outdoor Banner YouTube Thumbnail - Made with PosterMyWall.jpg
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok so a few updates.

1) we finished the AC upgrade on my '65 "Rita Hayworth" which makes me want to get things going on my '64. I'm going to plan it for a winter project from '23 into '24 for this car: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 3&start=30

2) I spoke to Jeff at Devious Customs and ended up installing these special washers in the tapered ball joints. He recommends them to ensure the bolts do not back out. Washer + red Locktite + 110 foot lbs of torque. Out of an abundance of caution I installed them. Please note Jeff's setup does run a tapered ball joint which is different than competitors. I think the main reason is many want to run bigger wheels and its a benefit when your layering your car low on big wheels. Either way I installed the washers and I would recommend everyone do this that has this setup.

Arriving at my buddy Tony "Boss" Bolin's place

Image1964 Lincoln Continental convertible Project Smuggler’s Blues by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Image1964 Lincoln Continental convertible Project Smuggler’s Blues by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Working on the car.. note the '64 sedan in the background he had been working on

Washers

Didn't take long and I was ready to head home. Note this is the drive height of my '64 which is 2 inches lower than stock (I measured the car when I was planning the drive height against my stock '65)

Whats next to my '64? Well I'm going to put some miles on it and enjoy it. I want to do more but I have to figure out what really is next on the agenda. I have plan for a full interior with '64 bucket seats/console I own, AC which I mentioned will be a winter project and more!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Couple of updates on my '64

Gooch Customs painted by new center caps where the Smuggler's and Blues are the same size font (note: I still need to install these on the car. When I drove the car yesterday morning to downtown Tampa I still had the other center caps installed

ImageProject Smuggler’s Blues by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Drove it to Rides by The River Aug 19th, 2023 (yesterday). A lot of people checked it out and really liked it. John Cena was there and said "nice car."

siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

Love everything about the car! Keep on keeping on.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks so much siglumous for the good word!!!! More to come!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Last weekend I trailed my car to Lake Worth, FL to stay with my buddy (he owns a custom '65 Lincoln Continental convertible I shot for a magazine years ago). We cruised our rides on Sunday to a local cruise-in picnic. Tom has 3 custom vehicles including his recently (almost finished) paint Ford F-100 with a Coyote engine. Pics below

Before the event - note the drive height of my car is almost stock. I actually set it 2 inches lower then stock in the front and rear prior to getting the alignment.

ImagePics by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Heading out to the event - Tom's wife took the 2500 HD with the HUGE fan, generator (it was HOT), coolers, chairs, etc. all in the support vehicle. The good thing was the show was only 25-30 mins away and was a straight shot!

ImageLincoln by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Cruising to the event

At the event

Patina Lincoln ... with THE CLUB lol.

Tom's truck

Tom's Coyote swapped truck with a full custom chassis from GSI

ImageFord F100 Coyote Swap by Jason Ballard, on Flickr