Should I become an auto technician?

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Should I become an auto technician?

Post by Castrosua »

So, I just want to hear some feedback from you guys because Im very torn about returning to work. I have been with the forum for a while, since before my cancer and my broken spine (ended up with bilevel fusion).

Its been years but I feel much better and working more and more on my cars (its also one of the reasons I was absent from the forum. It took a huge mental toll, learning how to walk again, wheelchair, walker, cane etc).

So, Im torn because I want to work, and maybe learn some more about the newer cars. I want Dodge, because I own two 2022s and would be nice to be sent to schools and stuff about them. Also they have very good discounts for new cars (I am eyeballing a Jailbreak, and I would have first dibs at an allocation).

The thing that worries me is that I would ruin my spin even more. No doubt I would start off with tire rotations, and oil changes, and that is a lot of listing. I dont have a lot of experience living again, with this injury. I just began doing some weight lifting, and slowly progressing, but its in the back of my mind that I could make life worse down the road.

Any of you guys live with this? C4 to C6 fused (not our C6..the cervical spine type), bulged and cracked discs in the lumbar region. I dont want to bea burden on anyone if I screw myself but also, making some money, learning new skills even at my age, are very appealing to me.

Thanks
Alex

PS, Dodge also has a bigger chunk of their sales as Challengers and Chargers, not small things I have less interest in. There are fewer Mustangs relative to Fusions than Challengers relative to...Darts? :grin:
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Should I become an auto technician?

Post by TonyC »

Alex,

Much as I admire your desire to get back to the workforce, I really want to stress serious caution. I mean, my own health issues don't sound nearly so extensive as yours, but I've forced myself into part-time lethargy ever since my heart blew a valve muscle two years ago. I'm still surprised I was able to do a core rebuild of Frankenstein's engine just months afterward, but it still took me months to do it. Well...okay, most of that time was not because of heart-induced fatigue; it was waiting on outsiders to do what I needed them to do. Still, there are times now that I do feel occasional stress coming from the ticker, like the artificial clip the surgeons installed on my blown valve is straining. I sometimes feel like I could do a job similar to the one you wish to return to; but, another side of me tells me that, with my projected life expectancy cut in half from that incident, I shouldn't push myself. Then the stubborn side of me wants to fix something on Frankenstein that isn't working like it should. Plus, I have an Army pension to live on, so it's not like I'll starve to death if I never work for wages or salaries again...although, admittedly, a job would make my life a bit more flexible money-wise.

I guess what I'm trying to suggest is, if you do decide to jump back into the auto-tech field (and I will stress again, I admire the idea), keep yourself at a pace that is comfortable for your body to handle. Tell the prospective employers about your condition, and negotiate with them just how far you may be able to go in the field. I know "willing" is virtually unlimited, but "able" is the critical factor. Don't overdo it; you don't want a relapse. And our little group needs to hold onto as many vets as possible at this point.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yes.

(Not advice).
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Nope. Back problems, wheelchair walker cane.. lifting stuff, constantly standing and moving around in awkward positions, putting force on tools.. You're only asking for more problems.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

I say always follow what you want, as long as it doesn't harm someone else. Married? Will it stress your spouse out? Next question is why would you go to work for someone else? Why not do work under your own business? This way you can take on the work that you are comfortable with. We all know working on a vehicle causes the most awkward and uncomfortable positions. The only advantage I would see working for someone else is if you are trying to get healthcare under that employer. With the dismantling of the Affordable Care Act, I don't know if having a precondition would disqualify you from a new employers healthcare. With this kind of health history do you qualify for SSI/Disability? So many things to consider and look into. What ever you choose, I wish you better health and happiness.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
brkdncr
Frequent Contributor

Post by brkdncr »

If it were me I'd be concerned about how much less maintenance hybrids and electric vehicles need, and how that impacts the mechanic industry. Further, I don't know how i would be able to work if back issues started up.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

While I am very confident that the EV conversion is going to happen, maintenance of gas mobiles will continue to be a significant need for many years to come. It won’t happen overnight, even once all passenger cars and trucks sales are 100% electric. The fleet is over 270 million large in the US alone and only 13-17 million are sold each year. Cars are not smart phones and cost 24 to 90x as much to buy. The average age of a car on US roads is 12.1years. That means for every new car out there, there’s one that’s 24 years old.

Do what your heart and soul drives you to do. If you’re not doing it for money, then it has to be a passion. I’d love to fix 60s convertibles like John Cashman, but I’m not as motivated or as smart. I’m happy to run a forum for no financial benefit, instead. I’ve heard so-called “volunteers” don’t even get paid!

Wait… what?

Well, there’s always starting a YouTube channel, but then you have to know how to shoot, compile, and edit video. Why does everything have to be so much work?

What were we talking about?

Don’t hurt yourself and definitely keep lifting weights to improve your strength. If you have the right attitude, you can keep yourself busy and fulfilled doing anything that isn’t stressful. Let us know how things go, but keep posting Lincoln updates!
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Thank you all. I didnt expect so many good points. I was late replying because I was busy fixing up my cars, pushing as a means of testing myself in poor conditions (i.e. driveway). Replaced wheel studs, brake job, brake calipers and putting back the 35 inch wheels on the Jeep, then revived the 73 (again), and while that doesnt sound like a lot, it still was something just last year I could not do in one shot.

I will answer in one shot rather than quoting (many good points). Money is ok. I have SSDI although I dont rely on that (its just 1k monthly since they dont count military years as contributing). I do have VA healthcare so Im not doing it for that. There are basically two reasons I want to, one financial (not direct) and the other call it educational.

I want to negotiate if not part time status, at least not doing the "tire bitch" part. I know many dealerships will start off a new tech loading, unloading old tires. Thats a no go for me. Granted, I have started lifting waits, but thats done on a bench, or laying down, things that put less strain on my lower spine, and even cervical spine (where the fusion is, but muscles in arms and shoulders still pull down on that area). I do still work on my cars, and there are plenty of them, and know too well the bad positions, strains etc. Working on a lift is a LOT easier. Also, worst case scenario, I try and quit if I cant hack it, if one morning I wake up aching above normal, in that.."I broke something" pain kind of way.

I want to get an allocation for one of the Hellcats, since 23 is the last year. Both because I love them as old school feeling cars, and also, lets not deny it, but after electrification prices will sky rocket. Already the used market is higher than the new one (new cars are harder to find, and even harder to find without markup, so used cars with 150 miles are demanding huge premiums). I have one (part of my call it investment, flip, etc) but want another to keep for me.

The other reason is that I dont know modern V8s that well. The ECU/PCM stuff is outside my grasp for now, although I am learning. I have a Snapie Zeus with the guided component repair and it is amazing how much info I picked up just in the last year of having that tool. Mopar does send techs to school for the Stage mods they offer, and that is something Im very interesting in learning. Not sure how they select techs for that, but if I can negotiate that as part of my employment, then great. The pay for me is not the biggest factor. Also, Im not interested in the electrics, as I dont see those as having any non-dealership repair future, no modding future etc (serialized, paired components etc, which is already an issue with many parts, particulalry Mopar)

I do have a Youtube channel, and I did have to learn that, Dan. I edit, record etc. I will say a 30 minute job will take 8 hours once theres a camera and tripod involved. Its torture to be honest. I like working on cars but dont like recording. Editing now is ok since I have a PC that is decked out for the job, and it can be a nice outlet for creativity, BUT...

In 4 years, I made nothing. I didnt do it for the money, but I would like to, you know, make SOMETHING, right lol? But YT is also messing around with the algorithm, some videos do well, others wont even show up to subscribers in their notifications. I am on other platforms too, like Bitchute (I actually have the largest car channel there) and growing on Rumble, but the viewer base is tiny. Still, it can still blow up at some point (although I joke around, that with two hot Mopars on the channel, one being a Super Stock, and I still get just 200 views, then Im the problem and not meant for this line of work!)

Ultimately, being single, living with mom (no, not lik that! We pooled resources and bought a nice house together, and besides, back in the old country, families lived three generations in the same house. In my case, Im lagging in that dept). But I dont have lots of expenses. I do want to feel useful though. Im tired of the last 8 years of being "disabled" and cared for. Mom burned through her 401k, savings, stocks, as did I while I was getting surgeries and treatments, even with the VA covering most. I still had my rent, food, gas and tolls (VA hospitals are alway far away). So I want to do something active in my life. Youtube is not satisfying me, because its stiffled artificially. I have some fans that will watch anything I make, but its become a bubble.

As I said, worst case scenario, I quit. Best case, they send me off immediate to Hemi College, I get my allocation for the car, and work for them as long my back will hold out, and maybe still put out videos. The Dealership is open to the idea of me recording.

I did take all your guys' advice to heart though, and havent decided yet. Tomorrow Im working on the cars again and plan a hard day. This week, I will work on cars every single day, and see how I feel this weekend and decide by Monday. I am nervous. I dont want to fail or make my life worse. Ive been there. It sucks. I had the lowest points of my life in the last 8 years. But I also dont want to just veg all day.

Sorry for the essay-post. TLDR, thank you all, good points. Will choose by Monday
Alex
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

So, to close this chapter out.

I decided that I didnt want to work for any of the local dealerships. Between terrible pay, and one that claimed I was "overqualified" mean could mean too old or too....whatever, its best to focus on other ventures.

Which does mean, the last thing to hold me in NY is gone, and time to move out west. Hopefully I will be in North Dakota or Wyoming by the end of 23. Though Im not dead set on those areas either. Taxes are just too much here, plus this new bill that passed will raise my taxes even more.

I aint no homeowner, I just rent from the state.
Alex
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

So my wife and I own a small car dealership, I fix/ repo cars and she sells them. I have a good amount of friends who are professional mechanics at major dealerships or own their own shops. I will tell you that working at a dealership is complete garbage because the manufacturers are not paying the techs properly for the amount of work going into warranty claims so your basically working for free A LOT! Owning a shop is whole different nightmare because you get to deal with the general public and all their stupid nonsense. I have tried hiring mechanics at my shop and it never works out because I like things done right. I also have the mentality that if I can take things apart without destroying it so should you so if you brake things I deduct it from your check.

Honestly the best way I have seen making money in this industry is to work from your home shop and do wholesale work for small car lots. Here in my area wholesale labor rates are running right at $60 an hour so it's much better then working for someone else and you don't have to deal with the headaches of the general public. But you have to be cool with patching and rigging up work because most of these lots don't want to pay to fix things correctly. Luckily it's their name on it so when it blows up its not on you!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:02 am So my wife and I own a small car dealership...
I appreciate the reply. It has been a while. So, what happened in the end. I wanted to start off easy, and give my back a chance to get used to working full time. I decided, the parts department, and when they had a slot open, Id go over to service (I was hoping to go to Hellcat school but they were more keen on EV stuff, not a thing I planned or wanted, but one step at a time).

I did such great work I got a raise on my first day. I reorganized the racks, found lost inventory worth tens of thousands of dollars. I found NOS parts from the 70s! (They let me keep those, so score!). But, 3 days later, I get back home. It was Friday, and I sit down, and that was it. I couldnt get back up. Couldnt move. My spine was inflamed and took a few hours for me to move again. I knew this wasnt going to work, much less as a tech. Its one think working at home, where I can take breaks when I want, recline, do my thing without being accused of lounging on the job etc. It sucked because I felt I let the parts manager down (a really nice guy). I know I didnt tell him I was disabled, because I needed to know. Am I? Well...yes. He did find somebody else, not as gung ho as me (but I am nuts. I inventory my own parts, way better than they did, hence why I did what I did there in just one day)

Been working online in the automotive world, and that has been going well. Its a close community, much like here (even if I have been very absent. The Mopars right now are very crazy...but my love for Lincolns isnt going anywhere).

The big issue though is last week I had a heart attack. Im 42, work out, eat right. They found a defect, put a stent in, but there are complications with my spinal injury and nerve injury. I feel like a fool, because I make plans. I even began lifting weights, getting past the pain and weakness, and got to bench 200lbs (from 40!) and doing about 3-4 reps. Not bad. Looked good (and of course I never took photos. I regret that now). So I get knocked back down hard. I wont lie, but it took me nearly 10 years to get over my spinal injury. A few years to recover from intestinal cancer (and both still have lingering issues), but now I have to add heart failure?

So, I am grateful for those that answered, and maybe it will help others that are younger. At least for now, all plans are on hold. I cant even drive right now without my bp rising to near 200.

Not sure if Ill post about it elsewhere. Not sure who else is still around, since its been 6 months since I logged on. I guess Ill have more time now, since I literally cant lift 5lbs or do much else.

Alex
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I'm sorry, Alex, getting old is no fun, but you still have many years to go, we all hope and pray. Having one thing after the other happen is very frustrating, and we all share your frustration. I feel it particularly, and I am on old man. Wayne

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”