1966 Top Pump Check valve mounting bracket orientation

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1966 Top Pump Check valve mounting bracket orientation

Post by LC67Vert »

Now I realize I misunderstood your original question but I hope the photos helped.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

It sure did help. Thanks for posting it!
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

The rebuilt pump is back in. The motor sounds strong, the pump has no squeal at any point in the cycle. It takes 37 seconds to raise the top- including the deck open portion which accounts for 16 of the 37 seconds. I have 8 cycles in with no leaks or issues.

Does anyone know where to get the sticker mounted on the pump reservoir? “Refill with type “A” automatic transmission fluid C1AZ-19582-A”.
Google search has nothing and I tried a few of the usual suspects and they have nothing.

IMG_2739.jpg
IMG_2740.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Type A or Dexron fluid is fine.

Ford used to use brake fluid which was awful when it leaked and congealed. It is
Common to switch to transmission fluid on cars that previously used brake fluid. The whole system has to be fleshed out to do so. If yours is always used transmission fluid, then you are fine. I don’t think it’s even a problem to mix transmission fluid since it’s just being used as a compression medium and not for fancy friction or heat properties like on clutches and plates.

When, in doubt, flush the whole system out and replace it with whatever fluid you wish to use.
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

My car has always had Type F for the top up circuit. The deck lid system has what looks to be brake fluid. I have never done any maintenance on that circuit- if it ain't broke don't fix it on these cars. I thought by 66 they had switched to Type F for both. Mine is an early 66 (3/66). They might have still been using brake fluid.

As far as my search for the sticker on the reservoir, let me know if anyone has a good sticker- please post a picture of it.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yeah. Mine probably has Type F also.

I didn’t even realize it shouldn’t use Type A. They stopped using type A in transmissions in 63 or 64 or 65.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Is this what you wanted?
67 deck pump
67 deck pump
My top pump has no sticker, this is all that's on the deck pump.
Both the '66 and'67 owners manuals say fluid part # C1AZ 19582, Spec M2C33-D, The 67 states Type F. The prefix C1 seems odd, but I guess they had their reason.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”