Fuel line question

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jame04
Occasional Visitor

Fuel line question

Post by jame04 »

I am upgrading to Fitech EFI. It is basically a stock 460 (rebuilt) with edlebrock intake and MSD distributor. I installed a devious custom tank with built in fuel pump. In speaking with them, they said no need for return line as their pump has a built in regulator. My question is, can I use the stock fuel line? It is in good shape but looks to be 5/16 size. Is that too small? Has anyone installed 3/8 line in the stock location? I think I can remove the return vent line. Thanks
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Fuel line question

Post by Dan Szwarc »

68 continental uses 3/8 line.
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

When you say you're reusing the original lines, I hope you will replace any rubber lines with FI rubber lines to handle the increased pressure. Also, if you have any plastic in-line filters you should verify they can handle the higher pressure or eliminate them. And, use FI-rated hose clamps.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
jame04
Occasional Visitor

Post by jame04 »

Yes it is 3/8

Yes I am replacing all rubber hose with EFI. The pump has a filter and then I am running an in-line 40 micron filter. Think that should be sufficient.
JimA wrote:When you say you're reusing the original lines, I hope you will replace any rubber lines with FI rubber lines to handle the increased pressure. Also, if you have any plastic in-line filters you should verify they can handle the higher pressure or eliminate them. And, use FI-rated hose clamps.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

If you decide to replace the older hardline you can bend up a new one pretty easy. I'm not an expert and I was be to make an entire new run in a short amount to time. I recommend having the old line removed to be able to use it as a guide. See my build thread page 2. Speedway Motors is the best place to buy the aluminum line (price wise). Jeff is a great guy at Devious.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 0&start=15
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

I just replaced my fuel Line on my 1962 and am also installing a Devious tank. I used copper alloy because Jeff from Devious said that's the way to go also its easy to bend. I got it from the stop shop. When you take out you old fuel line you can use them as a template. I would check out Earls Vapor Guard hose.
1962 Lincoln bagged

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”