Frame reinforcement

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

adambabel

Frame reinforcement

Post by adambabel »

Hello everybody,

I have a 67 convertible on which we tried to install an Air Ride kit following the instructions provided by the manufector.
We didn't had to cut anything and just removed the rear leaf springs.

The installation added some weight in the trunk : the tank, compressors.
Once we removed the suspensions, the rear of the car got "flexible". The rear leaf springs were playing an essential role in the car's rear overhang maintain

It might be a specific problem to this car and it might have been weakened by corrosion or something else

In any case it cannot be used without additional work and we would need your ideas to reinforce the frame to finish the installation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Frame reinforcement

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There is no separate frame, so what you’re talking about is beefing up the subframe or steel.

I think the body torsion you are experiencing is most likely normal. However, others have done it without issue by either ignoring the flex or adding steel by consulting an expert.

I find the former more likely than the latter.

How rusted is the car?

Customizers don’t frequent this site so much, but there may be post in The custom project sub forum. Otherwise, contact those who have done it on Facebook.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... m.php?f=12
adambabel

Post by adambabel »

Hello,
The car is not rusted at all, or it doesn't appear to be after inspection.
I will check the cutom section and try to see if anyone experienced what I do.
Thank you,
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

People are going to want to know what kit you used and pictures of your issue so they can help you.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

I know a guy really well that owns a chassis shop, he does a lot of work for Boosted Ego on the TV show Street Outlaws. Most of the work he does at his shop is full fabrication of 25.5 SFI spec and 6.0 full tube chassis race cars. On the 25.5 cars they have to maintain the entire OEM floor boards and fire wall but are required to have a full frame under the vehicle. Here is a picture of how they put a full frame on a uni body car without modifying the floors..
mustang_cobra_jet_25-5_cage_25.jpg
That is roll cage tube welded in the "frame rails" of the uni body. If you did that from bumper to bumper you would really have something strong and would solve your flex issues!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is what I pictured. Thanks.
adambabel

Post by adambabel »

We use a plug n play street scraper air suspension kit from X2 industries
https://www.x2industries.com/product/19 ... t-scraper/

The pictures don't really show how the body is "opening" itself on the rear part due to the absence of the leaves

We will study the addition of frame rails on the chassis
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Can you take a video on your cell phone and post it on YouTube and post the link here? We really need photos or to see what's going on. Its been years since anyone really is bagging a Lincoln with bag over leaf spring. Most of us remove the leaf springs and run a professional built kit like Devious Customs.

Let me give you an example. Although you have a '67 (My '67 sedan was bagged with a BC Fab kit on it) the '64 is pretty much the same. Checkout this thread where they install a Devious Customs kit on their '64 sedan.

For the rear you will have the axle tabs and the cross member that goes up against the floor (with the kits I'm familiar with). The lower bars (on the Devious kit) mount near where the front of the leaf spring mount would have been. The axle tabs on top mount the top shorter bars that go up to the cross member against the floor.

With a solid kit installed you should have no issues what so ever. Every kit on the market right now is similar to the photos below. I am assuming it has rear shocks on the car? If not that is not a good thing. You have to have shocks on a car like this ESPECIALLY in the rear. If not it will cause it to ride like crap and the rear will be bouncing all over the place lol.

Site: https://excelerateperformance.com/proje ... ntinental/
ford-bagged-lincoln-gallery-10.jpg
ford-bagged-lincoln-gallery-11.jpg
ford-bagged-lincoln-gallery-12.jpg
ford-bagged-lincoln-gallery-25.jpg

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”