Looking for BOOT (ACCELERATOR SHAFT): C1VV 9A873-B....

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Looking for BOOT (ACCELERATOR SHAFT): C1VV 9A873-B....

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This thread is now in the Sticky Topics forum.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Oh yes, this is definitely one for the Stickies! Good move!

Something else I discovered, very recently, pertaining to this topic: The linkage boot is not the only thing down there to look out for. Right under that subframe member, in line with the linkage, there is a production hole, can't quite remember the diameter (I want to say about 1-1/2"), that can and will allow moisture in. A body plug is supposed to be there to keep water and other garbage out. Frankenstein had been missing that plug this whole time, which has to explain why I found a cancer hole near the accelerator base, causing a mysterious oil/water dampness that would eat away the finish of my boot heels. After patching the cancer hole, I searched for a plug to go in the production hole, found one, cleaned the hole out (there was a lot of built-up crud in there to scrape out), and installed the new plug. I am now confident that the floor will remain dry from now on.

So, the takeaway from this is, when you go down to that linkage boot to examine it, look behind it to make sure you're not also missing that body plug. Both have to be present and intact.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I've got the hole in mine. It's so you can disconnect the clip without removing the boot, methinks.

I have to verify there's a seal on the other side. I seem to recall no cover.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I may be able to see that as a possibility, but I still doubt that. It's not like that is a common maintenance detail warranting risky exposure to the elements for the sake of convenience. Besides, those plugs are rubber and thus removable, so any service in that spot would not be hampered by the presence and needed removal of that plug. Another besides, the linkage boot is held in place by two small screws, easily accessible. How hard is that?

I can tell you there is a plug on the other (the passenger) side. I've seen it on mine.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

As I recall, that hole has a unique, metal twist in plug with an integral drain, it is not supposed to seal. The one on the other side may be rubber.
There are holes all over theese things with metal plugs, I brlieve they were for drainage after the body buck had it's 18" primer bath, they do need to be sealed.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Steele Rubber has them now.
https://www.steelerubber.com/automotive
Attachments
Boot.JPG
Boot.JPG (31.18 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’m scared of the statement “designed from the original part”. If it’s based on a mold of a so-called NOS part, it will be junk.

I made mine for about $30. But that was years ago.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Detroit Deviant has them too. They come with the bracket and are cheaper too.
Attachments
Boot2.JPG
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

DD looks like the Mustang boot. Perfectly adequate. Price is good, too. .
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I said I wanted to get one of D-D's boots, and I still haven't. Thankfully, I haven't been in critical need of one...but this month I intend to get at least one, possibly two, just to have on hand when the need arises. I mean, the copycatting of Dan's technique is still holding very well, but there may come a time when it fails. Plus, the world still owes me a 'vert, and I am fairly sure that 'vert will be in dire need of one.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I used Detroit Deviants kit and it worked great!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Question: What methods of payment does Detroit Deviant accept? They do not list the acceptable methods of payment on their site; anyone who bought from them know? I mean, obviously conventional credit cards, but I'm asking about other methods of payment; I have an unconventional credit card, but I don't believe in using it unless I absolutely have to. PayPal is my preferred option, and I don't believe in committing to a purchase until I know what method I can commit with.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

TonyC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:13 am Question: What methods of payment does Detroit Deviant accept? They do not list the acceptable methods of payment on their site; anyone who bought from them know? I mean, obviously conventional credit cards, but I'm asking about other methods of payment; I have an unconventional credit card, but I don't believe in using it unless I absolutely have to. PayPal is my preferred option, and I don't believe in committing to a purchase until I know what method I can commit with.

---Tony
Can you call and ask? Email?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Complete the ordering process and you will see what they take. They just ask for your address info first. (They do take Apple Pay.).
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

TonyC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:13 am PayPal is my preferred option, and I don't believe in committing to a purchase until I know what method I can commit with.

---Tony
I hate PayPal..

My wife started an online E-commerce business when I was in the Army that was doing around $20k a month in sales. PayPal was the biggest headache she had. Buyers CONSTANTLY order and when they receive the tracking information they dispute the charge for "non delivery". PayPal being such an awesome company will never side with the business and will always refund the customer.

If you dig on the internet you will see all types of horror stories about people selling vehicles on eBay and receiving payment via PayPal and once the vehicle is delivered and received title the buyer will dispute it for non delivery. Its insane that PayPal (who is owned by eBay) will side with the buyers regardless even if there is a signature upon delivery. They see it as civil case and will never get involved beyond refunding cash..

At least in the car business I go repo their car if they try pulling the shit on me.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000