Bucket Seat Thread

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Bucket Seat Thread

Post by frasern »

'67 (Ctr.) and '68 (Rt.) consoles, I don't know which one is in worse shape, really wish you could get new bases!
DSCF5524 (2).JPG
The console is really just a box, with an armrest, but this reminds me of an issue I had to address on my '67. Although it looks like a seat, it was not designed as such, and can break when a larger person leans back. The bolts pull through the base, as seen in the photo (center). I fabricated a metal plate to spread the load over the whole base, instead of just the depressions, the same could be done with plywood. I cut a piece of 1/8 inch steel, heated the bolt locations and hammered in depressions, then milled them with a countersink bit. I then used flat head stove bolts of the correct length and thread, they sit flush with the surface, and the stock filler, at left, covers everything.

Lincoln never installed center seat belts on cars with a console, and called it a 5 seater, which is why I believe it was never designed to sit on, however, it obviously is going to be used as a seat, so I recommend this update even if yours isn't broken, as insurance.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Very cool frasern sharing the post above with the seats. Good to know. Also love your last post w/ the info you share. I agree its like maybe a small child could sit on it (not driving on the road since not seat belt lol) but yeah I could see where damage could happen.

I really like the bench in my '64 but if I ever get my spare door panels done and the seats in the pattern I want I'll prob swap them out. I ran across from literature I had saved either from Jim Ayres or via here on TLF which I need to upload. Its something I had never seen since and ties into seats and the trim options, etc.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Jason - So, you sold your '67 bucket seats and bought a set for your '64.

What's next on your list to get them ready to install on your '64?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Yes, so I had a set of '67 buckets for a past car I had been working on. I sold the car and the seats were not part of the deal. I decided to part w/ the seats and passenger mirror for the '67 since I had no further need for them.

I do have big plans for the '64. I've done a lot but I want to get the Devious airbag kit installed (been on my friend's list 3 years if you can believe it) and when that gets done I'll put the Colorado Custom billet Lincoln Replica Wheels on (17s). I then want to do the interior. The outside to the car is going to stay "patina" for now but I want to have the full interior and trunk done. I've already done the engine bay and all the mechanical stuff. For anyone who hasn't seen my build thread here it is: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... hp?t=51010

Once the I the suspension done I will be driving the car a lot more. Since I bought the red '65 from Robert 1 year ago we have been taking that one out more. Oh and I desperately need to do the exhaust on my '64. It leaks bad and once the car is bagged (I know the air suspension isn't for everyone) I want to have a full stainless exhaust installed on the car.
Last edited by bd94s10 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So I picked up another set of contour adjustable seats (bucket seats), center console/console bracket, duct work, etc.. Check them out in my video link below and let me know what you think.

Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFLITaqnbs

8156572E-8354-418B-AE47-DB610439E315.JPEG

Thanks for the support!
jkh290
Occasional Visitor

Post by jkh290 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3PChaZD12w25EGXr7

Here's a picture of my bucket seats from my 64 vert.
Attachments
20221206_200009.jpg
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Man those look fantastic. Thanks for sharing! Love the color and pattern! Super nice!!!!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Can you share a couple pics of your car? Looks awesome man!!!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

The photo I shared on page 2 when I mentioned I hooked my buddy up with a set of seats... well here they are! They came out great. Custom 68 or 69 seats... I supplied the billet '65 inserts which are custom made. His '68 is full custom so he is picking what he likes for his car.

ImageLincoln Continental custom bucket seats by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

More to come on this awesome custom '68 sedan which is pictured below on our 2020 Tampa Kennedy Cruise!

Image1968 Lincoln Continental sedan. by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

ODB The Lincoln Addict

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”