Air choke tube from Exhaust manifold

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

PeruLincoln
Occasional Visitor

Air choke tube from Exhaust manifold

Post by PeruLincoln »

Hi, I will be putting an electric choke in my carburetor so I will not be using those tubes coming out of the
Exhaust manifold anymore, any ideas how can I eliminate, close, or seal those tube ports? Thanks
Attachments
C515E802-AA78-4145-858A-1D1B9822165A.jpeg
FCA59364-7B26-4142-8AF1-53213F2AE503.jpeg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Air choke tube from Exhaust manifold

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It’s an in and an out. It doesn’t have to be sealed. The ports do not enter the exhaust stream. It’s just a loop.

Block the ports on the carb that were connected to it. Or just make them look pretty.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Air choke tube from Exhaust manifold

Post by TonyC »

Yes, pretty much. One port is in the back of the air horn, which can be sealed off with a vacuum plug of the appropriate size. The other goes into the old choke; so if my guess is right and the conversion you're about to do involves removing the old choke entirely from the carburetor, it may require a little bit of creativity to seal off the vacuum passage in the carb itself that the old choke mates to. Should be doable, though; I just never did it myself, never needed to.

If the conversion does in fact require removing the old choke completely, may I suggest that you not just toss it out? Somebody could use it if it's otherwise in reparable or usable condition, not sure of the reason behind the conversion. Perhaps somebody who has one of the years of coolant-operated chokes may need an affordable and quick solution to replace their choke, many of which are showing signs of breakage by now. The coolant-operated design seemed good at the time, more efficient than the air chokes; but the pot-metal they were made of will suffer fatigue and breakage after aging nearly 60 years, to say nothing of hot pressurized coolant acting on them from the inside. True, the usual solution for those folks is to splice the heater hoses and swap in an electric job...but, just in case somebody either doesn't know where to source one or how to install one, something factory that's more durable and more affordable could be a godsend. Not that anybody who has one of these Lincolns would be insane enough to make it their main (or sole) source of motorized conveyance. Only I am that crazy. :smt104 :-?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)