Site Admin

Re: 1968 seat belt relay location

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I was not aware of such a timed relay.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1968 seat belt relay location

Post by TonyC »

Nor was I, not until the '70s...but apparently it did exist earlier than that. Motor Trend stated in its February 1966 criticism of the seat-belt warning circuit that Lincoln should consider using a timed circuit, like the ones apparently used on contemporary T-Birds: "T-Bird tried this [the setup used on '66/7 Lincolns] once and reverted to a light that warns for a tactful period and then goes out of its own accord." I was a bit surprised when I first read that. I've never confirmed that with eyewitnessing of operational T-Birds of the time, but there must be some truth to it if Motor Trend stated it. That wasn't the only criticism they pointed out in that review, either; they didn't like the placements of the wiper control and headlight switch in '66, suggesting they be swapped. Lincoln engineers heeded that advice the very next year.

Funny thing is, the owner's manual says that warning light with its less-than-adequate circuitry was an optional item! The Automotive Mileposts site makes no mention of that warning light, as standard or optional, for that year, so I only have the owner's manual to go by.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “1969-71 Mark III Authenticity Manual”