Replacing a 67 windshield washer bag to a bottle?

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

supremeteam

Replacing a 67 windshield washer bag to a bottle?

Post by supremeteam »

Has anyone replaced the bag from a 67 to some sort of hard bottle? If so what did you use and can you show pics?
1967 Lincoln Continetal Sedan
& Some other stuff
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Replacing a 67 windshield washer bag to a bottle?

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I think you can get generic bottles, but you'd have to fashion up a mounting system of some type and hope that's there's room to mount it all.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Locate one from a 68 or 69.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

IF you're lucky to find one that hasn't decomposed, that is one option. I do remember seeing new or NOS ones on E-Bay some years ago; maybe you could try there. There was a time when I used a bottle from an early-'70s model in place of the bag. It didn't look pretty at all in there, and I was forced to bend up the original hook bracket to hold it in place.

Or...you could just get a replacement bag. I got one from Classique Cars Unlimited via E-Bay for about $60. They are known to be one of the higher-priced Usual Suspects, too--but I've been satisfied with it. I haven't had to resort to any extra expense of improvising mounting hardware, and gawkers who want to see the engine bay are always impressed by it. Many didn't even know that those bags held washer fluid.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's the 68-69 Washer Bottle for $72

https://www.classiquecars.com/lincolnengine61.htm

Good luck, though. Classique can be "fun" to order from.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Pretty sure the OP has one by now, but a 'FoMoCo bag from Carpenter or the like, is about half the cost of a "Continental" bag, and just as authentic as a plastic bottle. The '68 bottle is likely the same one used in a truck, not much bigger than the bag.
If looking for more capacity, there is little room under the hood, but what about a large, trunk mounted one? The pump should remain where it is to avoid lag, the hose could follow the vac. trunk hose in the door sill.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I can remember Baker's Auto selling new bags with the "FoMoCo" branding in the '90s; I got one for my grand's Man-Of-War, and I always thought then that was the original look. Then I learned that the Lincoln bags were separately branded, although the same as bags on other Fords.

I want to say that, a few years ago, I saw listings for reproduced plastic containers for the '68/9 cars, but since I already had a good bag ("Lincoln"-branded, of course) in place I didn't bother following that listing. For me, the bag is just fine; it's actually withstood quite a lot and still holds fluid, even though the lettering has faded. Also, I don't really have a need for higher capacity; it holds enough to do the job many times before needing a refill. I still have winter fluid in there from last year.

Yes, I'm pretty sure none of this matters to the OP now; but in case other newbies want to know the pros and cons, then it could be relevant. Sure, one can retrofit a plastic container if they choose; it worked for me, at least temporarily. But, yes, fit would be an issue what with too large an engine in too small a bay, and it just doesn't look right. The latter is a trivial issue if you don't care about shows, but the former is a bigger, more legit concern. I'm all for conversions if they are true upgrades, doing a job better than original parts did, or doing something cool that didn't exist back then; but if a conversion really makes no difference or trades off something, I do not see that as an upgrade. Such is the case here. I say stick to the bags; they serve the purpose quite well, and new ones can be easily had, along with new washer pumps of the OE design. I don't even know how practical a trunk-fitting would be; that's a lot of distance for washer fluid to travel, and the washer pumps are not exactly fuel pumps.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Mine had a plastic bottle from some other vehicle. The other day I did just as Fraser said and bought a Ford bag because it was half the cost of the Continental one and the Continental one still had shipping on top of that. I should probably check out my pump too...
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If it's the right-size bag, fitting on the hook beam perfectly, then the decoration makes zero difference, except in money saved. You can use some of that money saved to get a new washer pump if you end up needing one.

That said, there is a way to diagnose the condition of your existing pump. Making sure the hoses and wire are all connected properly and the bag is filled, press the wiper knob with the key in ON or ACC (engine does not have to be running for this test). If it makes a very loud grinding noise and seems to squirt fluid in a very finny manner, then you need a new pump, rather quickly. If it makes a smooth, moderate hum accompanied by steady streams of fluid on the glass, then the pump is okay. If you want to do the test with the engine running, you can also simultaneously test the wiper response when the washer button is pressed: If the wipers sweep at the same time as the spray hits the glass, then the system is fine. If they don't operate, then the vacuum feed to the wiper motor is broken (yes, there is a vacuum feed, a secondary valve that opens only when the washer is activated to pump fluid and run the wipers; it closes when the button is released (vacuum is blocked off at that point), cutting off the fluid flow).

If the former pump symptom (loud grinding/finny fluid-squirting) happens to you, you have options at almost every angle. You can check the Usual Suspects or E-Bay; I suggest both, to see where the best deal can be had. You can also check the local parts stores, but I'm not sure if they may have a listing for that. They may, might not hurt to check. I do know that pump was one of the few items on Suicides that were shared with other Fords of that period. I can't remember where I got mine because it's been some years (at least 10) since I replaced it, but I want to say it was through an E-Bay seller. I don't think they would go for that much, even today...but they will cost more than a generic, "universal," aftermarket pump, which I do not recommend. I tried one of those before, actually twice (once for my grand's Man-Of-War, once for Frankenstein); and both times it shorted out mere days after installing it. Pay the extra for the new OEM pump.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Mike; Not sure where that pump is on your '63, but I think it's hidden, so looks may not matter. Most cars had a foot pump before, when that electric one came out, it was used on everything, I even have one that says Chryco in my junk horde.
Tony; if you don't need more capacity, no one does! These cars are seldom used in foul weather anyway! But lots of SUVs have a front bottle and rear window nozzle, so it should work the other way around as well.
'62 and '67 LCC.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

If I remember, the 66 67 68 Washer pump is the same as the 65 Mustang.

This means it's available and cheap. Search the mustang sites.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I don't doubt that. It's definitely the same as the pumps on the larger Fords of those years, so it'd have to be the same for the smaller ones as well. I admit, that's one good thing about the puffed-up rep of a pony-car: Availability of some parts most don't think about until they need them...like the washer pump, or the accelerator linkage boot, which still isn't an exact match but adaptable.
But lots of SUVs have a front bottle and rear window nozzle, so it should work the other way around as well.
I suppose, but that isn't the case with the truck-wagons I've been in. All the ones I've seen up close have separate bottles (likely with integrated pumps) for the rear windows, in close proximity to the rear windows; so the pumps would still not put in extra strain to suck fluid along the full length of the vehicle. Not that it would make much difference anyway, as 9 out of 10 truck-wagons I've seen, excluding those that aren't even a year old yet, have inoperative wipers at the rear windows; if the mechanism itself isn't toasted, the rubber blade is. I've also noticed that on a similar percentage of hatchback cars; people just do not think about car care these days.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Question Authority!"

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

If you keep the bag, you can hide a generic pump behind it. No judge will ever lift the bag. Wayne
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

On a '66/67, the pump is hidden inside a splash apron, it could be relocated there on an earlier car and hidden. '68 was installed in the plastic bottle.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I'd advise against generic aftermarket pumps. They don't hold up for long before shorting out; ask me how I know this. Besides, with new OE-spec pumps available, it makes no sense to go with an aftermarket washer pump. I got mine thru an E-Bay search some years ago, and it still works like new. You're best off getting new, OE-spec parts since they are available and affordable. To keep it working for years, always make sure the bag never goes dry. Washer fluid is possibly the cheapest automotive fluid one can buy.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”