Theory on Mysterious Wire in Steering Coupler

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Theory on Mysterious Wire in Steering Coupler

Post by TonyC »

Bumping for update, with visual aids. Well, all, I still do not know what significant contribution that wire may give, but I installed one. However, based on past experience, I made a slight mod to the fitting: Instead of routing the wire around the donut section, which would increase the risk of it snagging on something, I routed it through the donut section. I thought it actually looked good; if I woke up in Detroit in the early-'60s with all the knowledge I have picked up, I probably would make Elwood's "special" status seem trivial. :D

Anyway, enough self-glorification. Here are the visual aids; the first two are "before" shots; the second two are "after" shots, taken at the same angles. If you examine closely, you'll see that was a necessary job, regardless of the wire. Enjoy.

Regarding Dan's last input, I also had decided some time ago to add a ground wire to the gearbox, although that could have been redundant at this point with the aluminum spacers I have in place now. Still, can't hurt; may help, IDK...

---Tony
Attachments
Steering coupler, before repair, View 1
Steering coupler, before repair, View 1
Steering coupler, before repair, View 2
Steering coupler, before repair, View 2
Steering coupler, after repair, View 1
Steering coupler, after repair, View 1
Steering coupler, after repair, View 2
Steering coupler, after repair, View 2
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”