1976 Mark IV PS fluid

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

1976 Mark IV PS fluid

Post by kdtbird »

I have read conflicing info on what the correct fluid for the power steering system is. The pump Cap does not specify what fluid to use. Can you point me to the correct type and brand? The system is completely rebuilt and empty. Where to buy the fluid whould also be helpful. Car has 4 wheel disc brakes, hydroboost and sure-track. Does any one know the fluid quantity for an empty system?
Thank you for your help.
Kurt Thompson
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1976 Mark IV PS fluid

Post by TonyC »

Kurt,

I take it that you do not have the owner's manual to your car? If not, that's understandable; for some reason the owner's manuals were the first things to be stolen (or otherwise go MIA) from cars of that time. It would have told you exactly what you need to know. Now, in the '70s, there was a change from transmission fluid to a generic power-steering fluid, which was sort of based on the principles of transmission fluid but different enough that the two could not be intermixed. I want to say that the change happened in '77, which if so would mean that you would use Type F transmission fluid in your system. But I could be wrong about that; folks here who have more experience with that decade should chime in with their input (if it differs from my guess, go with their advice). They should also be able to tell you how much to use...although you can pretty much guess how much by using the cap's measuring stick to determine that amount. On the other hand, being that you have a hydraulic brake booster (the HydroBoost), I'm guessing that the booster and the steering are spliced into one another, like the wipers and steering were for the '60s models, meaning you'd need more fluid than an otherwise-standard system. That could also mean that the fluid you'd use is Type F transmission fluid. To source fluid, Wal-Mart would be the best deal, as they carry both generic P/S fluid and Type F transmission fluid.

Again, I'm only harboring guesses. Hopefully veterans of the '70s will come on in short order to give you better, definitive guidance.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by kdtbird »

I have the 76 owners manual that says ESW-M2C1-28-D. The dipstick just says use compatable fluid.
The service manual says D2AZ-19582-A (M2C128-C or D) for the saginaw pump, hence the confusion. I have seen posts that warn of "compatable with", so I came to y'all for clarification. Since I am an old fart and have always had Fords I wrongly assumed type F, Glad I checked first (or mabey not glad cause I don't know s*** about these other fluid types)
Since the system is completely empty I just wanted a guesstimate on how much fluid to buy in case I have to order it.
kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by kdtbird »

Can anyone recommend someone to custom make the power steering hose/line from the Hydroboost unit to the ABS pump? There is no one local and what is for sale online does not fit, even though they say is does. I am in Florida.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”