My 48 Continental Convertible Resto

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

RolledmySTi

My 48 Continental Convertible Resto

Post by RolledmySTi »

Hello All,

My name is Rick. I'm restoring and modernizing my 48 Continental convertible that I inherited from my grandfather. The car is a California car that has sat in the garage for at least 50 years before my uncle and I pulled it out just before the world went crazy. Here is a picture of her the first time she's seen sunlight in over 50 years.

As you can imagine letting a car sit and never run for 50+ years isn't the best for the mechanicals. I don't think grandpa intended to park it and never drive it again, but life and three kids can do that.

The body and chassis are rust free and she's a drop top which is why I wanted it. Like many Continentals of this era the original motor blew long ago. In it's place is a flat head V8 from a 49-52 Lincoln.

I just got the brakes freed so she can actually roll. Moving her with sticky brakes was a nightmare. Now I'm working on gutting her. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go, which one reason I'm on here. I definitely want an automatic. This is going to be a cruiser for my family, not a show car.

So with all that being said, any pointers are which direction I should go drivetrain wise? Anyone looking for some stock parts? Apparently it has the overdrive transmission which may be valuable for the 3 people actually restoring this car.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: My 48 Continental Convertible Resto

Post by action »

And you are located where?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
RolledmySTi

Post by RolledmySTi »

Just updated my profile. I am in San Jose, CA
RolledmySTi

Post by RolledmySTi »

Here she is up on jack stands. She is a tank. Had to buy a new jack and jack stands to get her up safely. Got the brakes unstuck so she rolls again. The title is lost and it hasn't been registered since 59 so I have to get her down to the CHP for a vin verification to get a title.

Here's the 8EL that got put in there sometime in the 50's. Bummer they really don't make parts for the motor. Also something has broke and the shifter hits the motor. Not sure if I should go LS or electric. I was thinking electric, but with the weight of the car it is looking more expensive than I had hoped.

RolledmySTi

Post by RolledmySTi »

Update from the last few months.

Cleaned all the rats nests out. Disgusting.

Got the car ready for engine removal. According to my uncle this is the first time the top has been down in 55 years. Got the seats out too.

Motor coming out

Victory. Got it out at 11pm on a Tuesday night.

Ready to be shipped to it's new owner

Cleaned up engine bay

Stripping this car down is taking longer than I thought and DIRTY work.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It's been a while since we've had a good resto thread. Keep it up. Looks like a great project.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”