Lincolns and typical value

This area is for members to post Lincoln-related automotive items for sale or trade (help the buyer find you!). Auction links are allowed. Dealers in automotive parts are discouraged from using this free bulletin board to advertise their "for profit" sales. Personal sales are encouraged to help Lincoln owners fix their cars. Please post to your message if the item has been sold. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mannye
Occasional Visitor

Re: Lincolns and typical value

Post by mannye »

action wrote:
mannye wrote: I want a fun daily driver for a year or two until used car prices go back down.
That is optimistic!

The current economy is operating on lots of demand (people want and are spending more) and lowered supply because the pandemic shut down capacity for a bit and some parts have still not fully recovered.
The supply side of the classic car world is rather stable. Yeah some new old car gets put out on the street. Or someone has the unthinkable a car crash.

So you are banking on demand. And demand changes with the economy.
If you are correct, I am buying too. No matter what my wife says

Action
I think that in two years, as long as the pandemic is able to continue the latest downward trend, the chip shortage will be over and we will be cranking out new cars again making the used car market more reasonable. If the shortage continues, well, I think it will be way easier and cheaper to maintain a classic car like a 77-78 Lincoln than a 4 or 5 year old Lexus. They almost never break, but when they do.... whoo boy. The alternator on my LS430 was a revelation. Toyota, probably to make it vibrate less, or make less noise, puts it in the V of the v-8. So the replacement is way more expensive because labor hours.
mannye
Occasional Visitor

Re: Lincolns and typical value

Post by mannye »

action wrote:
mannye wrote: I want a fun daily driver for a year or two until used car prices go back down.
That is optimistic!

The current economy is operating on lots of demand (people want and are spending more) and lowered supply because the pandemic shut down capacity for a bit and some parts have still not fully recovered.
The supply side of the classic car world is rather stable. Yeah some new old car gets put out on the street. Or someone has the unthinkable a car crash.

So you are banking on demand. And demand changes with the economy.
If you are correct, I am buying too. No matter what my wife says

Action
I think that in two years, as long as the pandemic is able to continue the latest downward trend, the chip shortage will be over and we will be cranking out new cars again making the used car market more reasonable. If the shortage continues, well, I think it will be way easier and cheaper to maintain a classic car like a 77-78 Lincoln than a 4 or 5 year old Lexus. They almost never break, but when they do.... whoo boy. The alternator on my LS430 was a revelation. Toyota, probably to make it vibrate less, or make less noise, puts it in the V of the v-8. So the replacement is way more expensive because labor hours.