Vehicle Lift

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Vehicle Lift

Post by frasern »

I finally got this thing to post a picture! I had a friend help. The posts are higher on the 2 post type, and the cylinder protrudes when extended, so the clearance ended up being 1.5 inches to the roof, scared the crap out of me when that happened! But it clears now, and that's all that matters. The posts are roughly 12'.
Attachments
hoist picture.jpg
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

papawayne wrote:Bendpak are made in the USA, I believe. Wayne
Some have been made in China for the past 10+ years now. Same for some other brands :(
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I thought about a 2 post, I though getting the door open for the bottom car with the post there may be an issue.

Actiont
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

4 post is easier since you simply drive in and off it. If you plan on using it for servicing 2 is better.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

4 post is easier since you simply drive in and off it. If you plan on using it for servicing 2 is better depending on what you intend to do.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

4 post is easier since you simply drive in and off it. If you plan on using it for servicing 2 is better depending on what you intend to do.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

A platform hoist is more stable, easier to load, and easier to access the vehicle. I bought the 2 post type for service, and it is a frame hoist, meaning the arms have to be positioned very carefully on a frameless Lincoln. It works great for my F 250, and most frame type cars, but with a Lincoln, the pads have to be tipped up for the arms to clear the pinch weld under the rockers. This concentrates the load on a very small portion of the jacking pads, and could be a problem on a rusty car. I am working on a mod. to raise the pads, allowing them to be used flat, so as to better spread the load. (One of those "pitfalls" you asked about)
The center posts do interfere with door access. With a platform, the corner post could be an issue if your garage door is not lined up for straight on loading, but not with a properly designed shop, If building a 2 bay structure, consider 2 doors.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”