Power steering inlet hose size?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Power steering inlet hose size?

Post by vashtsdaytona »

Anyone know off hand hose size for the feed from
Reservoir to crank driven pump? It just occurred to me I think what is on there now is heater hose. I suppose it should be something like transmission cooler hose. Other recommendations? As always car is stored away from me. I could measure it in person but adds another trip would be better to know now and order part ahead of time
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Power steering inlet hose size?

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Unfortunately I do not know. When I had everything apart, I took the hose with me to the parts store and went back to their bulk hose area and matched it up.

What does this part and area look like on a 460?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Ford is a bit confusing with steering items

1969 Lincoln Continental w/ 460
I believe the part number is C7TZ 3691 B
Reservoir to pump return.

No size listed in MPC

Taking the trip will be more conclusive

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

If the part number is correct this may be the part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RESERVOIR- ... 3022170643

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

It’s an unusually large diameter. I was actually going to post and ask this question as the hose on my car is incorrect and leaking. I had the right one on there, idiots swapped it out for reasons. I only noticed it had been swapped when I checked on the leaks. I’m 1200 miles from the car so I can try to measure the port on the pump or reservoir at the moment.
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

Would I measure the barb or the shank(only word I could think of)
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I realize this reply is well over two years overdue, but I had things going on at the time Vash posted...however, this should help for others in the future. I can tell you what I know based on the 462 setup, which for this particular detail should be identical to the crank-driven 460 pump. I remember having taken a picture of the inlet hose with the I-D clearly showing, to jog my own memory should it need jogging in the future; but now I cannot find that picture. However, I do clearly remember the dimensions.

On mine, the hydraulic hose going from the reservoir to the pump has an inner diameter of 5/8" and an overall length of about 6". The length of hose may differ for the 460 pump from mine (use a tape measure to verify length needed), but the I-D is very likely the same. It may be tempting to use heater hose in place of hydraulic hose, because the former is easier to find in that dimension than the latter...but you must not use heater hose down there. The rubber used in heater hose is not reinforced enough to withstand the deteriorating effect that petroleum-based fluids like transmission fluid will cause; you must find and use hydraulic hosing, which has that reinforcement. You will have to shop around, from NAPA to local hydraulic shops to the web, to find that hosing...but it is out there somewhere.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

Appreciate the post Tony. Noticed or the other day. The 69 and I would assume all 460 Lincolns. Is 3/4 in. I know from when tim nill rebuilt my pump the housing of pump on 460 is different but guts are the same. Based on the donor he used for the guts was older but my housing was reused.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Ah... interesting. I didn't know they made that inlet 1/8" bigger for 460 pumps. Also interesting to learn the guts remained the same; even the impeller sleeve? So the crank snout of the 460 is the same size as the 462 snout? It's cool to learn more and more about these pumps, being that we'll pretty much have to rely on ourselves to repair them.

While I was in Killeen, I stopped by one of their NAPAs to check on some hydraulic leads. They happened to have 5/8" hydraulic hosing, so I got a foot of it for good measure.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

For future reference hydraulic lines use the same numbering system for sizing as the AN dash system. For 5/8 return line you must ask for -10 (or #10) hydraulic return hose at any supply house and they will have it. Another interesting thing about hydraulic fittings is that all the JIC fittings are identical to aluminum AN fittings.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

TonyC wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 pm Ah... interesting. I didn't know they made that inlet 1/8" bigger for 460 pumps. Also interesting to learn the guts remained the same; even the impeller sleeve? So the crank snout of the 460 is the same size as the 462 snout? It's cool to learn more and more about these pumps, being that we'll pretty much have to rely on ourselves to repair them.

While I was in Killeen, I stopped by one of their NAPAs to check on some hydraulic leads. They happened to have 5/8" hydraulic hosing, so I got a foot of it for good measure.

---Tony

I don't want to promise that, but tim just told me in a, general way the guts came from older and used my housing as no donors. I have no hard proof and he had passed away
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Call Lincoln Land and ask. They will know.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”