[HOW TO] 140A 1-Wire Alternator Conversion

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Chief869

Re: [HOW TO] 140A 1-Wire Alternator Conversion

Post by Chief869 »

Hi! New here. Just landed a '65 about a week ago. She runs but the alternator died on me. I'm the process of doing the 1 wire conversion. Excellent and informative post! I'm wanting to do the ammeter swap out, but putting that on a hold at the moment.

I'm confused about the ammeter though, maybe you can help me out. I've got the wiring diagram and it seems if converting to a 1 wire alternator, I'm cutting the flow to one side of the ammeter that connects from the alternator to the junction box. If I unplug the other wire coming from the ammeter from the starter relay, will this completely eliminate the ammeter without having to bypass behind the dash?
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Maybe Pat T. will answer. I have not upgraded yet because I haven't put a sound system in my car. I am currently replacing carpet and the seats are at the upholstery shop. Maybe next year? for sound. But it seems clear that if you disconnect the lines on both sides of the amp gauge, that will solve the old gauge without pulling the wires out like Pat did.
Robert DeFrang
Chief869

Post by Chief869 »

Thanks Defrang! I'm hoping this would work and I won't have to take the dash apart to bypass the Ammeter, but knowing me, I'll end up doing it anyway, just to be safe. Just wish it was easier to access. I'll keep you posted.
jxxxoxxxe
Occasional Visitor

Post by jxxxoxxxe »

Solid wrote:I just used a variant of this alternator for a one wire conversion on my 62, and it works quite well. The battery charges at ~14.5V at idle and regulation is good under load. I went with the JEGS 10127 because I wanted a black housing and it had free shipping on Amazon. It is 100A not 140, but aside from HID headlights and LED halo parking lights, I'm not running any non-stock loads.

About to do my '62 this week... Is there a dummy light that needs any attention to work properly on the dash of '62?

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”