1964 Lincoln Continental rear view mirrow

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

NewLincolnMan
Dedicated Enthusiast

1964 Lincoln Continental rear view mirrow

Post by NewLincolnMan »

Were two different rear view mirrors put on this car? I've seen the early 'day/nite button' rear view mirror as well as the 'day/nite swivel' . Which one is right? Are they both?
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: 1964 Lincoln Continental rear view mirrow

Post by linc64 »

There may have been a mid year change, but the "rocker" style was used on all the '64s I've seen. The swivel style is correct for '65. I think some people have incorrectly replaced the rocker style with the swivel style over the years.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
NewLincolnMan
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NewLincolnMan »

I was thinking that myself but have seen more than a few to keep me believing that. thanks for the info Jim.

NLM
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

linc64 wrote:There may have been a mid year change, but the "rocker" style was used on all the '64s I've seen. The swivel style is correct for '65. I think some people have incorrectly replaced the rocker style with the swivel style over the years.
Thats news to me.. I thought 61-63 used the rocker style and 64 / 65 used the swivel
Todd
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Here's what the 1964 owner's manual says:

"The rear view mirror has an adjustment tab on its bottom edge which provides an anti glare feature for night driving. This tab slides up and down at the right and left of the center line of the mirror. Push upward on the right hand tab to adjust the mirror for day driving. Conversely, pushing upward on the left hand tab sets the mirror for night time use."

The 1965 owner's manual says this:

"The rear view mirror has an adjusting knob on its bottom edge which provides an anti glare feature for night driving. Rotate the knob until the "DAY" side is visible to adjust the mirror for day driving. Rotating the knob until "NITE" is visible sets the mirror for night time use."

This difference is also noted in the 1964-65 authenticity manual. ( I couldn't depend on the authenticity manual to be 100% correct, so I checked the owner's manuals to be sure.) :wink:
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

Maybe the change was made as turning the twist tab is less likely to move the mirror as pushing the buttons. Or, maybe the new mirror design cost less.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles