Conversion of Thermactor Heads...?

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Lincoln for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing and chopping can also be here (although this practice is not encouraged by the LCOC).

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Conversion of Thermactor Heads...?

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

I had this crazy brainstorm idea regarding the Thermactor variants of 462 heads. It isn't a project I'm looking into seriously, but the idea seemed so crazy that I'm curious if anyone can provide input.

As we know, there were two types of heads built for the 462: Thermactor and non-Thermactor. The difference is that the Thermactor versions had extra holes drilled into them for the extra plumbing of the air manifolds to screw into. It isn't practical to try and convert a non-Therm head to accept the system, I know. But, what about the reverse? If one has a non-Therm engine and, hypothetically, needs to replace a cylinder head but the closest option one has is from a Thermactor-ized engine, would it be possible to fit that head onto the engine, if bolts could be acquired of the same size and thread pitch as the air manifold pipes and screwed into place in the head? I've never seen anything in the shop manual to suggest it--probably never intended to be swapped. But could it in theory be done?

Again, this is only a curiosity, not a serious venture.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Conversion of Thermactor Heads...?

Post by action »

Thermactor comes in several variations.
My '66 soft top does not have Thermactor however my Mark III does.

The 460 version blows air into the back of the engine on each bank
Another version blows air into each cylinder just after the exhaust gas leaves the cylinder.

The later version is what is found in certain Mustang engines. So people that re-produce parts for Mustangs produce plugs to eliminate the thermactor pipes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SBF-Cylinder ... :rk:2:pf:0
Not sure if the plugs would fit a MEL engine. Or if the MEL engine has the second version of Thermactor. I have never seen a MEL engine with Thermactor.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Last edited by action on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Conversion of Thermactor Heads...?

Post by TonyC »

I've seen one close-up, recently, torn down--it's a version of the latter, which pumps air into each cylinder. Although I had the desire to save it and the car it came from (a '67 Coupé), I didn't have the resources. Examining the heads, I knew it wouldn't just swap straight into Frankenstein if i needed to, not unless I either went with reassembling the whole system or figuring out how to run without it. The shop manual's drawings for '67 proved to be quite accurate compared to what I saw.

Since there is a known network of bypassing Thermactors in the Mustang field without having to entirely swap out the heads, then it ought to be possible to do the same for a MEL head. It may not have been done with any of the MELs, but that isn't to say that it cannot be done. So, that was the answer I was looking for.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing”