deck lid issue

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

sv66
Occasional Visitor

deck lid issue

Post by sv66 »

Hey guys, recently joined up after buying a 66 LCC a couple of months ago. Really nice high quality driver, just needs some work to move it up a notch. I've had other classic cars but never a 60's Lincoln so this is a new experience for me.
Here's my issue when starting the top operation:
1. Deck lid unlock screws are operating but lid seems to want to stick a bit before opening. Once open all operations work as they should until we get to the deck close cycle.
2. When top is completely retracted, deck lid motors are running (I think) but there is a noticeable delay before the lid starts coming down. This was not the case when I bought it.
3.This issue also occurs when raising the top, deck lid sticks when opening, deck lid noticeably delays when closing.

I do have the shop manual and the top operations manual but haven't quite found the issue in them. I don't want to start fooling around with something incorrectly and make it worse. Im guessing it is either a hydraulic issue or a limit switch (or both) but I thought I'd check with you guys since you all seem to have had some sort of issue with these "Grand Dames" at some point. The information on this site is amazing. It is really appreciated and it is full of valuable insights.

I'm sure as I get more involved with the car, I'll have other areas of it that will require some guidance.

Thanks
Steve

1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: deck lid issue

Post by defrang »

I have a 65 so there may be some differences. My deck close limit switch has a coil supported plunger that helps pop the deck lid when the screws disengage so maybe that needs rebuilt. The other problems seem related to adjustment of the upper back panel limit switch. All of this including the advice and parts can be obtained from John Brewer. johnabrewer@msn.com
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 2.25.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 2.25.04 PM.png (286.86 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Robert DeFrang
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Steve,
Regarding the deck lid unscrewing, but not coming up, that would be an adjustment to the deck lid down limit switch. This is the switch on the passenger side of the trunk in the forward corner. It is attached to the "screw receiver" and the button points straight up. You need to adjust it about 1/8" lower than it is right now. Adjustment is done by loosening the screws holding it in place to its' mount bracket, and lower it a titch (technical Lincoln jargon). Then try the top switch again. Lower it till the deck lid raises up after it has unscrewed.

Regarding the other symptom, it looks like you are low on hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic motor on the driver side rear quarter panel. Just pull the cover panel on the inside of the trunk on that side to expose the pump.
Remove the screw from the top of the pump. Fluid should be about an inch below the opening. To test the level, insert a screw driver till you hit pink hydraulic fluid (Type F transmission fluid). Top it off as necessary, but do not overfill it. Leave it 1" short of the hole.. If it is really low, you may need to run the deck lid up and down several times to clear the air from the system.

Call me if you have any questions.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
sv66
Occasional Visitor

Post by sv66 »

Robert and John,

Thanks for the quick replies. John, I will take a look at those areas you mentioned tomorrow and report back in.
Steve

2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

If the deck lid pump (in trunk 1/4 panel-drivers side- remove plastic cover- about 8 phillips head screws) is empty fill with Type F fluid ONLY and run a few times. If it is empty your 50 year old hoses are probably leaking. You will see fluid on carpet or panel. Also check top pump (on trunk deck) for leaks. Same hoses are on both pumps. Not sure if John Brewer stocks these but you can get a whole set at Hydro-E-Letric... http://www.hydroe.com/
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
sv66
Occasional Visitor

Post by sv66 »

Update: Was able to adjust the deck lid down limit switch, just the two screws. Easy enough, operating without issue.

Pulled the panel on the driver's quarter to get to the hydraulic motor. Removed the screw on top and level was down just under 1 3/4" from top. Filled it to 1" from top with Type F ATF, replaced the screw cap, ran it several cycles and all is back as it should be. Didn't notice any leaks around any of the fittings, pumps or stains on carpeting. But if it was low, it had to go somewhere :roll:

Big thanks to JAB for the advice on this issue (actually to all who offered their time and opinions). Beautiful afternoon/night here in New England, going for a drive, top down of course! :D
Steve

2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

sv66,

Keep checking that deck lid pump. I was filling mine every year with just an inch or so of type f. Finally my son saw the tiny leak at the fitting when the deck lid was operated. Just changed the hoses this winter so I will see in November or March 2017 if I have any more leaks. One of the hoses in the top pump (on rear deck) was leaking also (also only under pressure). Changed those hoses also. That is what 50 year old hoses do !!! (they leak).
Rob
sv66
Occasional Visitor

Post by sv66 »

RMAENV,
Previous owner had Baker's replace the top and many of the top switches, relays and lines in the mid nineties. At least some of them are only 20 years old! I'll keep checking and your right, it probably is just a fitting as I don't see any stains anywhere. I always carry a quart of Type F in the trunk in case of emergency since it seems to be the life blood with these cars. Never hope to need it though.
Steve

2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

sv66, Took 5 years to find that little leak in mine. Always carry a quart of type f also in the trunk. I also buy the little $6.95 hand pumps that screw onto to top of the quart at Walmart (in the boat section). My son says Harbor Freight has them also. Makes filling the power steering, Trans and the 2 top pumps much easier especially the one on the rear deck inside the trunk. I have a new one outside in the garage (unless my son took it for his boat). I will get you the manufacturer and part number ( I will post it here) and you can look for it on the internet.
Rob
sv66
Occasional Visitor

Post by sv66 »

RMAENV, hand pump sounds like a great idea. I've been using a very small funnel but your suggestion sounds much cleaner. Looking forward to your response.
Steve

2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Hi sv66,

The pump is made by Attwood. The Manufacturers' Item # is 11891D7. Here is the link to the Walmart page. Walmart stores in the Philadelphia, PA area stock it year round at same price as on their website...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16351021?wmls ... 3=&veh=sem

So if you have a Walmart close buy you should be able to just go pick it up in the store although the boaters love them and they sell very well. You should have plenty of Walmarts in Mass. It is in the boat section near the auto section on the back wall with small boat stuff. The package is dark blue blisterpack with a red stripe on the bottom and white lettering.

Harbor Freight has their brand about 1 1/2 times more expensive @ $10.99...

http://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-a ... 61746.html

Bring you 20% off coupon... lol
Rob
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

BTW I think the one at Walmart is nicer (and cheaper) !! I haven't used the one from Harbor Freight but I can tell you the one from Walmart works great.
Rob
sv66
Occasional Visitor

Post by sv66 »

RMAENV,

Picked up the Attwood pump from Walmart. Works great as you said, no mess as I topped off my PS unit.

Thanks for the tip.
Steve

2012 Lincoln MKZ AWD
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

No Problem. Glad to help. Also glad you found it to be as convenient and helpful as I did. Cleaning up Type F trans fluid especially off the rear deck and under the pump is a PITA. Actually, with the top down, with the pump, you don't even have to climb in the trunk to fill the top pump (on rear deck) you can just lean in from the passenger side an fill standing up.
Rob

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”