Rear windows 61

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

dennis long

Rear windows 61

Post by dennis long »

Hello and thanks,
New to the forum. Long time owner of a 47 Continental Cabriolet (boy are those tops easy) and recently purchased my dream
61 convertible about a month ago.
I have the top working great minus a few mechanical adjustments. All windows are now working as they should except for the
drivers rear. I have it functioning with the switches but it will not operate in auto down unless I ground the down relay coil.
As these relays are rubber mounted and do not ground the coil to the case, Where do they actually pick a ground to
energize the coil? The schematic is unclear to me whether it is the bypass switch or current limit or both.
If I manually ground the spade on this relay and push the door latch everything works as it should.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dennis
wmaloney
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rear windows 61

Post by wmaloney »

Welcome to the forum, and we would love to see some pictures of your new convertible!

I cannot answer your question but hopefully someone on the forum will be able to shortly.
Bill Maloney
1963 LC Convertible
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

If you have 1 window that is working and one that is not you can swap relays from the side that is working to the side that is not.DO NOT mix them up, keep them in the same position... IE 2nd one in on the right is the same as 2nd in on the left. Only relay on the panel of 8 that has to ground is the current limiter(big box on the end) If you haven't done it already the plunger switch in the 'B' puller is a MUST replace before proceeding further, these are always bad.($250.00 new) If they work at all it will be intermittent and drive you nuts!Also don't forget rhe knife switch with the 2 micros witches on it in the upper face of the door. These rarely fail but often the bracket is bent, or the arm and it never activates the down relay. Another thing to check is the micrositch in the door in the latch.This is 61 only. Hard to access, Shine a bright in there and you will see it.You can always call me for further tech advice (813)390-1950
dennis long

Post by dennis long »

Thanks guys,
I now have everything working. Grounding issue at the current limit relay. I still don't understand why the control circuitry is 12v Pos. and
the relay coil ground is not always satisfied. I can't think of a single situation where it should come into play
with the down relay. These things can drive you nuts.
I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.
White w/ black and white interior.
Thanks again,
Dennis

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”