chrome cleaning

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

chrome cleaning

Post by papawayne »

Hi folks, just read in an outdated "old folks"magazine that crumpled up aluminum foil will make chrome shiny and bright. The strongest stuff I've ever used on my chrome is Never Dull, any coments? I don't dare try it on my lincoln, thinking that it will scratch the dickens out of it and ruin it forever...Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: chrome cleaning

Post by Dan Szwarc »

To clean chrome one has to remove surface contaminants like rust, and then polish the chrome, the same way it was polished right after being plated. Polish too hard and you'll rub the chromium off and expose the nickel underneath.

Aluminum is just scratching the surface. A creme polish is needed to really shine the chrome. Never dull is good, I've heard, but I've had good experience is chrome polish and a buffer on my bumpers. Forget using your hands. Let a machine do the work.
niveklincoln
Frequent Contributor

Post by niveklincoln »

I saw a post a few weeks ago about Never Dull, went and purchase a can from Walmart $5.00 it's Awesome on Chrome Shinny & Bright!!!
itkonen
Frequent Contributor

Post by itkonen »

If bumpers are heavily worn, I recommend Autosol Chrome Glanz. It also cleans nice and easy overspray and other dirt from chrome.
1972 mk IV