Vintage Clothing to wear with your Lincoln

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: Vintage Clothing to wear with your Lincoln

Post by linc64 »

onedollarbob wrote:I thought for sure Mr. Drysdale drove a Continental convertible at some point during the Beverly Hillbillies, but the internet only seems to remember his '63 Imperial. Darrin's boss on Bewitched occasionally drove a Continental, too, I seem to recall.
I don't recall Mr. Drysdale or Larry Tate ever driving a Continental, and I know I saw every episode of both shows when I was a kid.
Check out the following link:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/ ... -ruled-tv/
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
JimFreeh
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimFreeh »

linc64 wrote:
onedollarbob wrote:I thought for sure Mr. Drysdale drove a Continental convertible at some point during the Beverly Hillbillies, but the internet only seems to remember his '63 Imperial. Darrin's boss on Bewitched occasionally drove a Continental, too, I seem to recall.
I don't recall Mr. Drysdale or Larry Tate ever driving a Continental, and I know I saw every episode of both shows when I was a kid.

Chrysler sponsered the Hillbillies, and Chevrolet sponsered Bewitched.

Drysdale always had a current year Imperial, Miss Jane had a red intermediate convertible.
The only non Chryco vehicles were the early twenties Olds (I recall, tho Jethro thought it was a Stutz) truck and Sonny Drysdale's MB 190SL.
Oh wait, the exterior shot of the bank had a 65 Corvair prominently parked in front for many years.

Larry Tate drove Corvettes, and the top was always down.
Darren drove various Chevys, including a 65 or 66 Corvair Corsa convertible.
I guess Sam drove whatever she twitched up from the Chevy dealer......
Gawd, I was in love with Sam......

WRT Green acres, The first few episodes had the 65 Continental, then 66 and 67.
Dunno what he drove for 68, maybe they carried over the 67, but by 69 times were tough and he downgraded to Mercury.

As far as 60's fashion, watch a Rat Pack movie from the appropriate year to see what was "cool" at the time....
The Goodfellas movie does some gangster-chic fashion from the sixties, but I always thought they were a bit too highly styled.
Best to emulate Frankie and the gang, they epitomized "cool".

jim
Jim Freeh
Tidewater, VA.
64 Lincoln Convertible (bought in 74)
and lots of other cars...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I bought a 60s wool suit at a vintage clothing store yesterday. I have to get it tailored, but it's a pretty good fit. I will post pics when I have the whole outfit ready. It should be fun to wear to car show banquets.

I really enjoyed looking at those classic suits and may go back and get something from the 40s. The old-school style is just something that really impresses me. I've never cared for modern suits. I think I will stick with something classic, even for my own non-car show use.
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

Maybe the thing to do is this. Look at pictures of John F. Kennedy. Dress accordingly. I do recall a picture of him getting out of the back seat of a 63? convertible. Ray Bans, cigar. The man was cool. 8)
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

Crisp white shirts, regular cuffs are fine, and no blue jeans unless you're working on a farm! A few chino pants are good for more casual times. (I grew up in the 60's and remember the way we all dressed. It's much different from what is normal now)
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

My father was a businessman and always wore French cuffs in that era. Nobody seems to wear them anymore. Oliver Wendell Douglas wore them all the time, look at all his pictures closely.
Not just an everyday schmuck- a classy Lincoln owner :)

1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
kevlemo
Frequent Contributor

Post by kevlemo »

linc64 wrote:

Love this quote from the article you referenced:

"Oliver’s Continentals get our vote as the most stylish and elegant star cars on classic television."

AGREE
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Highlander Green / Palomino Tan
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

linc64 wrote:I don't recall Mr. Drysdale or Larry Tate ever driving a Continental, and I know I saw every episode of both shows when I was a kid.
I knew you would have the answer. I miss when Nick at Nite would still run these back to back. Thinking about it, sponsorship was pretty much the order of the day, which is I guess why Cannon always had a Mark III/IV and Charlie's Angels always had Fords (Lincolns usually going to the villains).
toddallen wrote:French cuffs in that era. Nobody seems to wear them anymore
I have two shirts with these. They look neat, and, yes, nobody wears them anymore. But they get cludged up in your jacket sleeve sometimes, and I have managed to lose every decent pair of cuff links I ever had.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

The Mad Men look would work great. Just remember that the width of the tie shold be close to the width of the suit lapels. And they were narrow. Suit pants were not pleated, but tapered with no cuffs. Either cap toe or wing tip shoes complete the look. Ties were simple, solid color, often knit with a squared end and a Tie-Tac, not a tie clip. French cuffs are preferred and Ray-Ban Aviators are a nice touch. Enjoy.

PS: A fedora would be cool if you can pull off the look.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

Don't forget pullover sweaters, too. Solid colors, wool. Has anyone been watching the coverage of the 50th anniversary of the march on Washington? Lots of examples of what people were wearing on August 18, 1963. Just about every man was wearing a white shirt.
French cuffs would be for the more dressy affairs or worn by executives with their high dollar suits. My dad was a salesman and I don't remember him wearing french cuffs with his suits. If Dan is looking for a more casual or eccentric look, french cuffs would be an unlikely choice.
Topside64
Occasional Visitor

Post by Topside64 »

Too funny! glad I found this thread as the wife and I have discussed doing just this. wearing old, excuse me-vintage, clothes while cruising. Was thinking going the pullover sweater route while the wife was looking at head scarfs, sunglass and hat styles. Can one still get Ban-lon?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I don't want to look like Mr. Drysdale. I want to look like a business professional.

I am also planning of getting a fedora or a pork pie hat.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's a mad men pic.
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

There is a method to wearing a proper fedora (I wear one) is to not be self-conscious about it. A slightly used, salty but not ratty look to it is the way to go. In the winter they do an amazing job of keeping you warm and one that fits properly will not blow off your head unless it's blowing like a hurricane. A decent Panama is good in the summer as it keeps your brain from burning up. You're not fully dressed if you're not wearing a hat is what I say. Anyone from NYC can visit the hat store on fifth at 32nd, there's a great hat store that sells Borsalinos for decent money.
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

I am also planning of getting a fedora or a pork pie hat.
I think the Fedora would be more era appropriate for a 1960's Lincoln owner, I think pork pie hats were popular in the 30-40's and started to decline in the 50's.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”