Use of Marvel Mystery Oil?

This forum is exclusively to address ATF fluids, their applications, etc. Feel free to discuss the "facts", but save the flaming for private. Please ask all other transmission-related questions (such as parts) in the Engine & Drivetrain forum.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Use of Marvel Mystery Oil?

Post by TonyC »

Hi, all,

Two weeks ago, I performed an operation on the valve body to Frankenstein's transmission. Well, it was not entirely successful--not total failure, but there are sporadic times the tranny won't shift automatically (EXAMPLE: Two days ago, it wouldn't shift automatically at all, today it does, though with some difficulty). A local acquaintance suggested pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil into the transmission, and it would free up any residual sticking. Before I actually do that, I want input from the forum. Will it work, or will it make things worse? If the former, then I'll pour a pint in; if the latter, then I'll just live with it until I can get it back to the transmission shop.

Thanks in advance.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Use of Marvel Mystery Oil?

Post by Suicide65 »

its not a vacuum problem is it? I had a leak in the vacuum line to the transmission modulator and it wouldnt shift
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

No, I know for a fact that it is not a vacuum problem. That was the first thing I looked for when the problem first manifested, and the lines and modulator are intact. It's sticky valves.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Tony:
You likely surfed the web on this one and see the answers are all over the map. Of course Marvel claims it can be done but that has obvious conflict of interest. Here is the clip from Marvel FAQ:
Can MMO be used in automatic transmissions?
Yes, MMO is safe for usage in automatic transmissions. Use no more than 16 ounces of MMO in the automatic transmission.

IMHO if you are desperate and can not afford transmission work, try it as a last resort. But you mention waiting to see the tranny guy, and that is definitely the preferred course. Our F-type trannies use atypical fluid and transmissions are notoriously sensitive to fluid purity. It seems you may just need your bands adjusted and I would defer to an expert.

I have MMO in my garage right now and use it in ethanol gas to keep my carb and choke lubricated. I have never added it to the transmission so I can't directly answer your question. My best guess is that it would do more harm than good. I stand corrected if anybody has good news to report on MMO in the C6.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Thank you for the input, Autostick. Actually, I never searched the web; I got the advice from a clerk at the nearby Circle K who said he used it before in his cars and it worked great for him. But, I wanted to get input from the Forum before trying that--I know how different Suicide Lincolns are from other cars.

Your idea about adjusting the band, though--I had thought about that just today. That was something I didn't do when I operated on the valve body, so I think I'll try that first. Frankenstein's tranny is a C-6, so it has only the one band to adjust; and I have the steps in the shop manual, so I can do it. (UPDATE: I adjusted the band, and it did feel like it needed it; I still have to road-test it, though.) If it doesn't work, I'll try to live with it until Christmas when I'll have time to take it to Danny to perform his magic. We'll see.

Thanks again! :grin:

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

TonyC wrote:I got the advice from a clerk at the nearby Circle K
ummmm.... Tony... Get advice from the guys at the parts store or the speed shops. Not the guy at Circle K. Not to diminish his knowledge, but I question credibility when his career is not automotive oriented - may just be a hard-core hobby. Did he drive a reasonable condition classic?

When I worked flipping burgers anything that may get the car another 20 miles was what I did. I swore by Rislone, Marvel and STP. When I pulled my first blown engine apart and saw all the crud I swore off the supplements. Except for ZDDP, instead o'lead and Sta-Bil.

Who knows, maybe he was a out-of-work engine builder... Always question your resources - even me. :D
Rob
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

66Lincoupe wrote:I swore by Rislone, Marvel and STP. When I pulled my first blown engine apart and saw all the crud I swore off the supplements. Except for ZDDP, instead o'lead and Sta-Bil.
Who knows, maybe he was a out-of-work engine builder... Always question your resources - even me. :D
I generally judge the advice by the car they maintain. A classic Lincoln Continental driver gets attention. Somebody that owns and does no maintenance gets no attention.

Maybe we should start a string on preferred and avoided additives. Obviously everyone should be using ZDDP. I grab a MMO now and then when on sale. But I never use o'lead or Sta-Bil, and with dozens of engines (1,2,4,6 and 8 cylinders) overwintering, never had a problem with a spring start. I swear by Chevron Techron particularly if fuel injected, and Gumout if not. Never touch Slick 50 and would join any class action suit against that one. Never used Bar's Radiator Stop Leak until I owned a 1993 Caddy, it is OEM required! Gave up power steering fluid for F-type tranny fluid based on conversations on this board. So are there opinions on these or other additives?
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

autostick wrote:I generally judge the advice by the car they maintain.
This was far more succinct than what I rambled on about...
autostick wrote: But I never use o'lead or Sta-Bil
I don't use instead o'lead anymore, but still use Sta-Bil. I never had issues either until I moved to Arizona. I gummed up two CRF50 Hondas by leaving crummy gas in the tank when they weren't used...
I guess it's just a habit now. Marvel in the fuel of an old car is a good idea I think since fuels today are so dry.
Rob
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Thanks, guys. I had already decided not to use MMO in the transmission. I'm just going to try and contact Danny Dunn this weekend and get his input. For all I know, I may need another valve body. Luckily we're talking about a C-6, so if it comes to that, it shouldn't be a nightmarish quest to get one.

On the side topic of other additives, my grand always swore by STP oil treatment, so I do occasionally use it. And I used some of the MMO in the fuel tank, figured it was time to treat the fuel (didn't do that since I replaced the fuel filter back in July). The Bars Leaks for the cooling system helps plug leaks; but I noticed that the coolant took on a brown oily tinge to it, so I haven't used it since I changed out the radiator.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

Bars leak will plug up your heater core in no time.

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

sauceman wrote:Bars leak will plug up your heater core in no time. cheers
Bars leak is required by General Motors in my 1997 Cadillac Deville. The caddy forum guys warn never to leave it out.

Return to “Automatic Transmission Fluid Forum”