windshield wipers wont turn off

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

windshield wipers wont turn off

Post by shibbby911 »

i jus replaced my powersteering pressure hose and now my windshield wipers wont turn off any body no why? also my windows wont roll up or down anymore either
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: windshield wipers wont turn off

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The two systems are unrelated, but you must have bumped, dislodged, etc. something electrical to kill the windows. Or it is a heck of a coincidence.
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

Post by shibbby911 »

oh ok do you have any idea why the windshield wipers would be stuck on?
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Most likely a check valve on the wiper issue. Here's an old post about it and where it's located.
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... it=+wipers

The windows sound like a fuse issue or drivers side-master lock out switch problem. Check fuses first.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

Post by shibbby911 »

ya its weird cuz all the windows worked then they all jus stopped working except for the driver window but i guess ill start checking fuses
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You did PS work so try this:
  • Start the car and idle it in the driveway, parking brake set, car in park.
  • Turn on the wipers full speed. Put some water on the glass to prevent scratching.
  • Turn the wheels all the way to the left and all the way to the right three times. Do not hold at the extreme.
  • Shut off the wipers. Do they stop?
You also should verify that you did not break the vacuum line connection to the wiper motor in the cowl. Trace back from the wiper motor to the switch to make sure nothing fell off.
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

Post by shibbby911 »

Dan Szwarc wrote:You did PS work so try this:
  • Start the car and idle it in the driveway, parking brake set, car in park.
  • Turn on the wipers full speed. Put some water on the glass to prevent scratching.
  • Turn the wheels all the way to the left and all the way to the right three times. Do not hold at the extreme.
  • Shut off the wipers. Do they stop?
You also should verify that you did not break the vacuum line connection to the wiper motor in the cowl. Trace back from the wiper motor to the switch to make sure nothing fell off.
i tried turning the wheels a few times and they still didnt go off
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Did you confirm the vacuum line is still attached to the wiper motor? Is the cable still attached?
shibbby911
Occasional Visitor

Post by shibbby911 »

cable is till attached and it moves and it looks like there is a hose going from the wiper motor up by the radiator if thats the return hose that your talking about
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

( Looking at engine from front of vehicle) The fluid inlet line, at front of wiper pump, goes to the left side of the power steering pump and the fluid outlet line, at right side of wiper pump, goes to the front of the radiator. Look at the small check valve (center of firewall at cowl panel above wiper pump) and make sure the vacuum lines have not fallen off either side. It's a small 3/4" x 3/4" square. One line goes from it to the vacuum nipple on the wiper pump. The vacuum nipple on the wiper pump is to the left of the small cable adjustment screw located at the front/right of the wiper pump. It may be hard to see, but if you feel in that area, you can tell if the vacuum line is on or off. Trace the other vacuum line from the check valve, too. if either is disconnected, the wipers wont stop, as this check valve is what adjusts the number of wipes and stopping of wiper blades.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Shibbby,

Everyone's suggestions are all good ones. As for your windows, the house money says that it's the safety relay acting goofy. The window circuits are routed through a single relay that controls the power through the ignition switch. It has a tendency to give out, especially if it's never been opened up (these old relays can usually be opened up and repaired to some degree). When it does malfunction, you'll have no power to any window from any switch. One of the age-old issues we've long since covered, so trust me on it.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

shibbby911 wrote:... it looks like there is a hose going from the wiper motor up by the radiator if thats the return hose that your talking about
There is no hose from the wiper motor to the radiator to up by the radiator. There is a small vacuum line from the wiper switch through the fire wall, runs along the front of the cowl, goes through a vacuum bleeder valve, then runs into a small hole in the cowl and attaches to the LH side of the wiper motor. This vacuum hose activates the wipers when you push the WASH button. The wipers are supposed to wiper only 6 times then stop. If it has fallen off, the wipers may not stop.

Please confirm.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

"Ashully" (as a close friend of mine would put it), that vacuum hose is what makes the wipers sweep when the wash button is pressed. That vacuum line opens up a small bellows inside the motor, a secondary valve that makes the fluid flow. When the vacuum supply is exhausted, the valve will close and the motor will stop. If it's disconnected, the wipers will not move unless one turns the knob. I found all this out through my exploration of the wiper system.

If the wipers are not stopping, even with the knob turned all the way off, there is an irregularity in the fluid flow; and any power steering work will contribute to that irregularity. Another contributor would be the plunger in the wiper motor that controls the fluid flow through the motor. When the knob is turned off, the lever that the cable attaches to is moved to an outward position, away from the motor. Under it, there is a plunger valve that is supposed to move all the way out as well with the lever; but because it's not physically attached to the lever, it may stick in an open position. Usually, performing the steering checks Dan listed above several times will free up the valve and make it operate like it should; but if it doesn't, you could try jogging the valve by tapping it with a long screwdriver to make it free up. If you happen to have the motor out, you can use needle-nose pliers to exercise the valve and loosen any deposits that could also make it stick.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Greggory1
Occasional Visitor

Post by Greggory1 »

I have a 1966 Lincoln continental with the same problem with my windshield wipers won’t shut off. I never take my car of the garage If there’s a cloud in the sky is there a way to bypass the switch? if I pull the fuse will that affect anything else. Does anyone have a fuse diagram? Are do you have any other ideas
Thanks
Gregg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Your wipers are powered by pressure from the power steering pump. No electric. Read this thread carefully, and you’ll find reference to the washer check valve, which may be at fault.

Electric motor replacements are made if you get desperate.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”