61-63 Stainless Trim Removal - help!

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dennis McCoy

Post by Dennis McCoy »

I'm about to have my '63 convertible repainted. I agreed to remove as much trim as possible to reduce labor cost. What is the proper way to remove the stainless trim running from front to back without damaging it? the trim could use professional polishing, too.
Any help would be really welcome!
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Willard E. Anderson »

Hello Dennis,

They gave you the difficult assignment, and the costliest one if you don't do it correctly.

First, you should have the "LINCOLN CONTINENTAL MAINTENANCE MANUAL FOR 1961" and--in particular--the "LINCOLN Continental 1962-63 MAINTENANCE MANUAL SUPPLEMENT". In them you will find drawings of the car showing many--not all--of the details of the methods of attaching the mouldings, the trim. For example, the 1963 MM, p.148, shows much of the trim attaching methods, but not the crown moulding on the front fenders, where there are several "hidden" fasteners. This has been discussed quite a bit herein, so do a search. As mentioned, the trim has "hidden" fasteners, and if you don't release them (remove nuts, screws) you will bend the trim for sure.

It would be wise to have samples of the retainers so you know for sure how they work; drawings in the MM are quite helpful.

But in general, once the "hidden" fasteners have been released (nuts off, screws out), you could use a couple of taped, wide putty knives to release the retaining clips, "wide" so that you distribute the force on the trim. Proceed slowly.

The windshield requires very special attention. You might be wise not to remove at least the lower trim--perhaps none of it--because you might break the windshield. Do a search to convince yourself of this.

I don't have any ideas about the trim around the rear window--oh, you have a convertible.

I would study before removing any piece of trim. If you aren't sure, read the MM, do a search, and ask questions on this LCOC MI BB.

Conduct a thorough search. You will learn a lot and you will save yourself a lot of grief and expense.

As I am told by restorers and experts, the stainless steel on these cars is not just stainless steel. It is polished stainless steel that is then plated with chromium, an expensive process. So, if you buff the trim, you may very well change its character. That won't matter for a driver, but I would think it would matter if you are fussy. There are companies that will do the job right, but it's expensive.

Good luck!

Sincerely, Willard.
DB
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by DB »

I recently removed all the trim on my '62. Look in the maintenance manual for the diagram that shows all the different types of clips/fasteners and their locations. As Willard says, some of the trim is held by bolts and if you try and pry them off, the trim WILL bend (yes, I learned the hard way). Be patient and work slowly. If you can't figure something out, just post here for help...
Dennis McCoy

Post by Dennis McCoy »

Thanks to both you and Willard. I was speaking of the stainless trim that runs front to rear on both sides, and yes, it can be damaged if not removed properly. thanks for the advice. I will pass the info on to the firm doing the re-paint and leave it up to them to remove it or not. Frankly, I think it's not that tricky if, as you say, you have the original service manuals. Thanks a bunch!!!

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”