1980 Mark VI

Any Lincoln fact related question can be posted here. Questions such as how many Contintenal convertibles were produced in MY1965? How much was the Town Car option in 1969? What size of tire was standard on a 1953 Premiere? or Does the Mark II retractible prototype still exist?

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

dieringerh

1980 Mark VI

Post by dieringerh »

Tell me about the rarity of the single extra headlight on each headlight cover when it is closed. I see one for sale in my area. It appears to be a Bill Blass? edition 2-door(white over blue w/ wide chrome band beneath,cast turbine wheels, and blue leather interior). The lights mentioned look to be factory equipment. Any info would be appreciated. Was the headlight feature an option, or equipment of a specific model or trim level? What years was this offered?
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1980 Mark VI

Post by ContiFan »

dieringerh wrote:Tell me about the rarity of the single extra headlight on each headlight cover when it is closed. I see one for sale in my area. It appears to be a Bill Blass? edition 2-door(white over blue w/ wide chrome band beneath,cast turbine wheels, and blue leather interior). The lights mentioned look to be factory equipment. Any info would be appreciated. Was the headlight feature an option, or equipment of a specific model or trim level? What years was this offered?
These are called "Touring Lamps" and were available as an option on all Mark VIs (1980-1983). They are rare but not necessarily desirable. Some like the look, some don't.
touringlamps.jpg
touringlamps.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Kind of looks like this, to me.

'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

Do those turn on with the running lamps?
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

78_towncar_460 wrote:Do those turn on with the running lamps?
Yes.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

ContiFan wrote:
dieringerh wrote:
Tell me about the rarity of the single extra headlight on each headlight cover when it is closed. I see one for sale in my area. It appears to be a Bill Blass? edition 2-door(white over blue w/ wide chrome band beneath,cast turbine wheels, and blue leather interior). The lights mentioned look to be factory equipment. Any info would be appreciated. Was the headlight feature an option, or equipment of a specific model or trim level? What years was this offered?
These are called "Touring Lamps" and were available as an option on all Mark VIs (1980-1983). They are rare but not necessarily desirable. Some like the look, some don't.
Very interesting factoid. I did not know they were OEM. Did they come through installed or was this a dealer option?
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Barry Wolk wrote:
Kind of looks like this, to me.

:shock:

Looks like a girl that worked the back lot of a Baltimore Truck Stop when I drove many years ago...

She said she would keep an eye out for me...:lol:
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

KULTULZ wrote:
ContiFan wrote:These are called "Touring Lamps" and were available as an option on all Mark VIs (1980-1983). They are rare but not necessarily desirable. Some like the look, some don't.
Very interesting factoid. I did not know they were OEM. Did they come through installed or was this a dealer option?
A factory option and not a very expensive one. Only about $180 or so in today's dollars.
coldplays
Lincoln Maniac

Post by coldplays »

I really want to get one...I see cheap mark vi's designer series on kijiji all the time.. one or two sometimes have these "touring lamps"

apparently the factory alarm system when equipped with touring lamps is something cool to behold as the lights flash on and off + the headlights lift up and down- can anyone verify this?
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

Unless the headlight doors are electric, I would doubt that they open up and close as there is only so much vacuum that can be used when the car is not running.
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
Linmk56
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Linmk56 »

I worked for a L/M at the time of the Touring Lights. Out of all the Marks we ever ordered, only one had this feature. The guy who bought it, wanted us to change the headlamp doors back the the normal ones. We "tossed" the Touring Light covers. Maybe I should have fished them out of the trash.
Howard
1956 Mark II C5691376