Upper Back Panel Limit Switch

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Way to go Dan!

Tackling the famous upper back panel switch- YOU BE DA MAN 8)
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
ArizonaDPS
Frequent Contributor

Post by ArizonaDPS »

Wow, you were lucky. I had several broken plastic parts.....which I believe became that way not from use, but from the extreme dry heat here in AZ that dries out plastic and causes it to crack. I also had a couple of springs that no longer had enough pressure to hold the roller to the contacts.

I intially took mine apart to see what the problem was, then realized that it was more difficult than I thought to put back together. Mostly because I couldn't remember which carrier was on top of the other. Also, only two of the three rollers are in contact with a contact at any given time. So I guessed, and put it back on the car and simply could not adjust it to save my life. I'm still not sure if it was my not putting it back together correctly or I was just wasting my time because I think some springs were bad and some plastic cracked.

But once I got the switch back from them, I didn't even have to follow their alignment procedures, it was perfectly aligned for my car without having to do a thing.

I'm still stuck with the problem that followed it. The motor for the top unlock will not work when the rubber coupler between it and the gear drive is in place, the motor just gets super hot. Remove that coupler and the motor runs just fine. I cleaned the gear drive and re-lubricated and it turns super slick with just two fingers, slight effort and a screwdriver. I even got another motor....and nothing. So what I've been doing is just carrying a simple pencil stick electric screwdrive and I "manually" unlock/lock the top when needed.
Paul Swietek
LCOC AZ Region
Apache Junction,Arizona
1966 Linc Convertible 4dr
"I'm working for the State on the (Arizona) Highway Patrol."-Junior Brown
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Paul, it sounds like you have other problems than the switch.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

I'm still stuck with the problem that followed it. The motor for the top unlock will not work when the rubber coupler between it and the gear drive is in place, the motor just gets super hot
Sounds like the coupler is too long (or the motor is too close to the shaft) Have you tried moving the motor out, or shaving down the ends of the coupler? It seems like it is too long and binding the motor up. Another potential is that the motor shaft and gear housing do not line up in a straight line.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Super73
Frequent Contributor

Post by Super73 »

Thank you Dan!!! This will now be one of my next projects.. Then I'll remove the 5 double pole switches in the glove box and harness I built going to the new relays I installed.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You're welcome. Anothing to help another Lincoln owner out.

As for the coupler issue, I would check the alignment to the motor. In addition, check carefully for any other binding object.
Cliff Adams
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Cliff Adams »

If you are going to disassemble your back panel limit switch, place it in a clear plastic bag and them take it apart. This will keep all the pieces contained in the bag.

Thank you Dan for the pictures and instructions on the inside detail of this switch.

I thought mine need a rebuild and called Certified Rebuilders, turned out to be a relay and not the back panel limit switch. Now that I know how involved this switch is with the operation of the top, I bought a backup.
Cliff
64LCC, Artic White, Black Top
jleonard
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jleonard »

Nice work Dan!

Thanks for posting. I took some pictures and made a sketch when I did mine, but haven't found the time to post it all. Your post is great - the photos and instructions are very detailed.

I did make a custom tool for putting it back together - I tried tape like you but couldn't get it to work by myself. I made the tool out of a Coors light can. Another brand would probably work fine. :grin:

- John
Designer & manufacturer of the GearHead Engineering disc brake conversion kit for 1961-1964 Lincolns.
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1965 Ford Galaxie
1967 MGB
2007 Mazda5 (kid hauler with zoom zoom!)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The tape is really a two-person job. It was what we came up with in the 5 minutes of staring at it. A beer can would make a great tool since it is curved like the carrier.

Some of us don't need to spend $300 to restore a switch that just needs a cleaning.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”