Vacuum hose issues

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Vacuum hose issues

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

So last fall, my mechanic pulled the dash to do some work. When he re installed it, the AC and heat wasn't working correctly. We figured the vacuum hoses were put back wrong on the lower dash control unit. He's bee trying to get it working, but can't. He has all the diagrams, but can't figure it out since there are 10 hoses coming from under the dash and 12 receivers on the lower dash control unit.

I haven't seen any of this personally; I'm just going by what he's told me. Any ideas?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Vacuum hose issues

Post by frasern »

From the factory, the hoses had coloured stripes on them, and matching tiny paint dots on the fittings. The hoses may be long gone, but he should still be able to find the dots, and match them up. On my '63 parts car, one of the dash fittings is capped, so no hose goes there. It was already apart when I got it, so possibly more than one was capped before.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Stu,
Here's an old post about vacuum lines. If you scroll down, I posted up a picture of servo ports and functions.
replacing all those lines was one of the worst jobs I did on my 1963 sedan, but felt the best when done, after everything vacuum related worked!
Good luck with your issue.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... es#p399219
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If he has the diagrams, then I'm guessing he isn't studying them thoroughly enough. If the system worked before the surgery, then it should work again if he focuses more on detail and less on time. But that is the issue with mechanics: They have schedules to be met. That's the main reason I chose not to utilize my skills as a money-maker.

That isn't necessarily meant as vitriol. He may very well be very good at his work; but he is subservient to schedules, as is the case with all businesses. If he focused thoroughly on the issue with yours, like I could, he'd figure it out.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Stu, have your man check those little motors on the passenger side of the cowl, they, (and the multitude of colored hoses) was the reason I had no heat or defrost. What a complicated system for a simple procedure! Wayne
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

It's not a matter of time. The owner of the shop himself (who doesn't work on cars anymore) is working on it. Yesterday he spent all day working with the diagrams, but the problem is that the color coding is not there, and as mentioned, there are 12 receivers and only 10 hoses. Based on Steve's diagram, I now know one reciever is capped, so we're still looking for one more hose. I'll get that diagram to him in case he doesn't have it. Thanks, Steve.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Just a wild guess, but is the missing hose, the supply hose from the engine?
I like Steves idea about paint dots on the hoses, but that is difficult to add now. Factory used tape I think, later cars had the stripe formed right into the tubing.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

I don't want to confuse this issue and I know it's a '63 you're dealing with.

But on my '61 (a different configuration) the main supply line going from the engine to the round HVAC Control Unit has a JUNCTION and splits into two hoses just prior to connecting to the Control Unit and thus connects to TWO of the nipples. That would mean you would have ten hoses yet eleven Points of Contact. Then the capped one would make twelve.

Stu, do you have John Brewers pamphlet on the Vacuum Hoses?

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

"Stu, do you have John Brewers pamphlet on the Vacuum Hoses?"

Nope.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”