1966 Conv rear deck/bumper rubber weatherstrip

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

1966 Conv rear deck/bumper rubber weatherstrip

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

I need to replace mine. Who has done it? Any tips?
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1966 Conv rear deck/bumper rubber weatherstrip

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I have. It’s a pain in the ass. I put the deck lid all the way up and then went to work on the screws. Might be easier to get the center ones if you’re sitting in the trunk.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I did it on my 63 sedan and for months, I had to push down with force in order to open or close the trunk. The first time it happened I thought I was locked out and my key didn't work. I can't imagine how difficult it is on a convertible. Wayne
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

When I replaced the trunk lid to bumper rubber weatherstrip on my ‘67 convertible the bumper was off the car for re-chroming. With the bumper off I put the trunk lid in the fully upright position and I gained access from inside the trunk. In some places I used a short L-shaped offset Phillips screwdriver to access to the screws. I’m not sure if it’s possible to do this with the bumper on but the it is easily removed after disconnecting the lighting wires it’s held on by 8 bolts, 2 each side underneath and the rest from inside the trunk. Best done with 2 people.

After I installed the new trunk to bumper weatherstripping it looked great right above the newly re-chromed rear bumper. I was disappointed when less than 10 years later the rubber cracked again. That was a long time ago and so far I have just lived with it, along with the door glass exterior weatherstripping that also cracked within 10 years. I expected to get more years of service from the weatherstripping given the car was always garaged and only driven on nice days, not many miles each year and put away winters. Perhaps the quality of modern reproduction rubber is not so good.

I would redo it again but it’s a bit of a pain to do. Actually the trunk weatherstripping is not as difficult compared to the door glass weatherstripping which requires drilling out old rivets to get the old weatherstripping out and then riveting in the new rubber plus removing and replacing the interior 4 door panels just to get access.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have a sedan bumper on my convertible and it is shimmed to where the trunk does not hit the bumper when open.

There is no gap when the trunk is closed. There is no need for the rubber.

I also helped a friend install new rubber on his trunk without removing the bumper. It lasted about 3 years before it split from the flexing. There are two plastic supports that are supposed to help the rubber not fold when the deck is opened, but these were degraded and did not work well at all.

Pull the rear bumper and paint everything back there Vanta black. No one will notice. Vanata black isn’t cheap.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Vantablack. Never had heard of it. That was a fascinating little rabbit hole.
Attachments
IMG_0750.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Vantablack apparently requires a vacuum and heat of some kind. Use BLK 3.0.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”