1956 Mark II Barn Find!

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1956 Mark II Barn Find!

Post by Lee »

blaroche wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:43 pm
Lee wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:27 pm Thanks for the compliment, but it looks best from about 20 feet away. :lol: It’s great to have that history. I ordered my ‘41 info years ago from the Benson Ford Center, but somehow managed to misplace it when we moved. Oh well, it wasn’t a terribly interesting story.

Are you planning on a driver, or Pebble Beach? Or somewhere in between?
Aiming for a Pebble worthy car! But really we just want it to be correct and reliable. Probably do more touring with it than showing, but we will see as we get closer to finishing it up. I’ve got a restoration thread going for it over on the Mark II forum, perhaps I need to post it here too!
I’d encourage it! Not a lot of Mark II (or Mark I, for that matter) traffic here, but there’s a pretty good contingent of Lincoln lovers.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Lee, that's a beautiful 41 and I love the grille. And I thought the 42's were just 41's until everyone went to war! 42 would be a rare car, because it was only a partial year, correct? Wayne
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Yes, Wayne. Only 334 Continentals total for the 1942 model. The lines all stopped on February 22nd. To their credit, they didn’t reuse the ‘42 grille when production resumed in ‘46, but it was just as barge-like. They were emulating Cadillac, IMO
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Unfortunately, they did re-use the 306-bored V-12, but they learned early on in '46 production that it was a deathtrap and resorted back to the 1941 specs. At least they didn't revive the LiquaMatic.

I actually wondered what the breakdown figures were for '42, for the Continental, the Zephyr (which would just become a base Lincoln in '46), and the Custom.

Anyway, to me the Mark II was the best-looking American car to come out of the '50s. It looked slimmer than anything else offered save for the Chrysler products starting from '57, even though it was heavier than nearly all of them; and it was elegant as opposed to extravagant. The only appearance flaw I see is the flat side glass; but that was the standard for cars back then, until Virgil Exner Sr. spearheaded curved side glass on the '57 Imperial.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Tony, do you remember when the Chrystler 300 came out? Do you remember telling yourself, "That looks more like a Lincoln than a Lincoln does"? I sure do... Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Do you mean the recent ones, Wayne–the ones Chrysler started about 2005 and discontinued this year? If so, then yes, I was thinking exactly that. Those cars did look very Lincoln-like, almost like the Continental concept displayed about that year, which should have been made for production in my opinion.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I can only guess you're talking about this one otherwise I'm not seeing it.
Attachments
link-1_0 (1).jpg
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Mike and Tony, that's the one, to me it sure does look like a Lincoln should. Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dittos! Lincoln should have made that a production model, with hardly any production changes. They could very well have given upstart Chrysler a what-for!

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OP hasn't posted since the first post in this thread. He hasn't even been back to read the posts.
I hope he's OK.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Dan, you know we never let lack of OP input stand in the way of a good thread!
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

It would be nice to see why people post once, and don't even come back another time to see if we answered. I don't remember what this post was about, but I'm sure we tried to answer it. Then we went astray. I'll look when I'm done here. I think wondering what happened to somebody is a legitimate concern. I worry about the young kid who was on here who had cancer, but who was also restoring a Lincoln. It seemed like he was trying as hard as he could. I hope I'm able to say, "Sorry guys, but I won't be back." Wayne

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”