Removing Electrical motor windows - Antenna - Radio - Weather Strips

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Elvis From Paris
Occasional Visitor

Re: Removing Electrical motor windows - Antenna - Radio - Weather Strips

Post by Elvis From Paris »

Lee wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:33 pm
Elvis From Paris wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:13 pm one other thing, does anyone has any good advice to give me to change the horn ? the one i have seems to be a scooter horn ! ridiculous ! i need something stronger for such a car, an "american sound" , somthing that means hey watch your back and move from here, here i'm coming ! ahahah if you hear my actual horn, i think you will laugh !
Elvis, the website rac.co.uk gives driving advice for driving in other countries. It claims about France:
"Warning of approach: Horns may only be used to give necessary warning to other road users. Between sunset and sunrise, warning must be given by flashing passing lights. The horn may be used only in cases of absolute necessity. In all built-up areas, use of the horn is prohibited except in cases of immediate danger. The use of multi-tone horns, sirens and whistles is prohibited."

I wonder if the factory multi-tone horns were eliminated on you car so it could be registered or pass its controle technique?
Hello Lee, Ahahahahaha you never drove in Paris ? it's an horn concert non stop ! the cars that are over 30 years has more "freedom" as historical vehicule. on my car there's 2 horns, but i think there are kind of dead. on my harley i have a Stebel. and trust me when i use it, people ear me ! :) but you are right, horns must be use only in case of danger. i('m not a horn junkie and when driving in paris you must use it sometimes to tell dreamers behind their steering wheel that you are here...
Owner of :
- Continental Mark V Bill Blass 1979
- Cadillac Sedan Deville 1983
Former owner of a Chrysler Cordoba 1976
Grew up into a Buick Riviera 1965
Elvis From Paris
Occasional Visitor

Post by Elvis From Paris »

frasern wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:09 pm Further to Lees point, the factory used 2 horns, a low pitch and a high pitch. (on my '67 there are 3, but I think they were back to 2 in '79). See if you have 2, and check the wiring to both, also, one could just be faulty, they sound terrible when only one works.
regarding the window sweeps (fuzzy parts stapled to the trim panels), I changed them on my truck a couple of years ago. Carefully straighten the staples and remove, replace the old fuzzys with the new, carefully drill very small holes to line up with the old holes and re-use the staples.

Hi Fraser :) ok, i got it; but where can I find this fuzzy part that breaks into several pieces ? what's their name ?

for the horns i guess there's only one on the two that is still working, sounds is ridiculous ahaha
Owner of :
- Continental Mark V Bill Blass 1979
- Cadillac Sedan Deville 1983
Former owner of a Chrysler Cordoba 1976
Grew up into a Buick Riviera 1965
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I guess fuzzy was the wrong word, they are fuzzy on my Lincolns, but by '79, they were probably just a rubber lip. What I was referring to, is the piece that is stapled to the top of the interior trim panel.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Twilight sentinel usually referred to the auto on/off headlights not high beams.

Guide Lamp made that autronic eye system so that's why it was called Guidematic. It was a division of GM but not everything they made was for them so technically we don't have to say it's a GM part on our Lincolns :teasing-neener:

I think it would be something neat to add. I have the eye from an old Eldorado and a newer one from the 80s. I have to find them but I think they still say Guide on them like those old space looking ones did.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Agreed! I had toyed with the idea of cannibalizing an Autolamp system from an organ donor to retrofit on my grand's Man-Of-War, which had only the basic lighting. Frankenstein already has an auto-dimmer, so I didn't pursue much for him. I do, however, have an Audiovox "autolamp" kit that supposedly turns the headlights on and off automatically; but I never completed installation of that because the wiring instructions seemed hard for me to follow...plus, I hadn't figured a good spot to hide the control box out of sight but still have it accessible enough to make manual adjustments to the timer.

However, with my hopes still fresh that the world finally gives me the one thing it owes me, I do want to keep the retrofit idea fresh, just in case the 'vert I do end up getting doesn't have a factory auto-dimmer. If I knew all the related components and critical wiring harnesses, I would start cannibalizing now. Thing is, I don't have any comprehensive references for Autolamp systems; only the auto-dimmer of the '60s.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Was that audiovox kit from the 90s? I remember seeing a kit for it but never got one. I was always thinking it shouldn't be hard to get one to work out of an 80s Cadillac Fleetwood/Brougham.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, it was. I got it about 2000 or 2001 from JC Whitney, one of the last accessories from them that got my attention. The only thing I'd done with it was plant the light sensor on the dash pad, then I stalled out with the rest of the installation.

I also agree with retrofitting a stock system even from the rival-sibling make; it shouldn't be all that hard. The tricky thing for me would be to make sure I've acquired absolutely every part and harness I'd need for the retrofit. With my past experience where the brakes were concerned, I have to say it's critical for me to know that in advance. But who has a diagram of the system...?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”