Electric window motor replacement + power antenna

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Elvis From Paris
Occasional Visitor

Electric window motor replacement + power antenna

Post by Elvis From Paris »

Hi guys,

3 questions in one topic. for my Mark V 1979

first one, i will try to fix and re-grease my electrical motor, but if i can't for any reason, i will change it for a brand new one.
so my question is simple, does anyone has change his motor ? if yes, wich brand/model should i search ?? my Mark V has the mini vent, (so does all the Mark V i guess) si it's a specific motor i think.

second question is for the power antenna, i could fix it (it works, but the mast is twisted. not sure to find anyone to fix it; neither if it's possible to fix) here again, any specific brand and model ? it seems not so easy to remove.

and third question is about the speakers in the doors. have you ever change them ? if yes, wich one have you choose ? brand/model.

every kind of help will be welcome.

thanks Elvis
Owner of :
- Continental Mark V Bill Blass 1979
- Cadillac Sedan Deville 1983
Former owner of a Chrysler Cordoba 1976
Grew up into a Buick Riviera 1965
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Electric window motor replacement + power antenna

Post by TonyC »

Greetings, Elvis,

There is a very recent thread about the antenna. From what I read, it's not an easy task, though possible.

As for the motor, I don't know how different the motors are for mini-triangle setups (which was an optional feature, not standard-issue), or whether they're the same and it's the regulator mechanism that's different. But where the motor is concerned, keep this in mind: If motors fail, they fail totally . If they operate even in one direction, they're fine. If your motor runs but your glass doesn't, the problem is in your gearhead, not your motor. The gearhead looks like it's part of the motor (in a way it is), but it's serviced like a separate piece. It has two gear components that move as one because of 3 nylon bushings shoved between them. Those bushings crumble over time and need replacement. In the States those bushings are available in most part stores for cheap; can't speak for France. But if you discover the bushings are in fact crumbled, you'll need to really spray out the grease in the motor to expel all the bits, to prevent them from doing damage to the motor itself via jamming. Then repack the head with new grease, replace the bushings in the gear assembly, put it all together, and test.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Electric window motor replacement + power antenna

Post by frasern »

Elvis, I sent a PM, I should have an antenna for you, as long as your car does not have the factory CB. Is there a lump in the mast?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”