66 Continental Convertible Rocker Panels

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 66 Continental Convertible Rocker Panels

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I know what John Cashman would say: “Junk it! It’s unsafe!”

None of our classic Lincoln’s meet the definition of safe by modern terms. They’re all death traps in a crash.
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

daniplee wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:09 am
Mike wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 pm It would probably be easier patch up what's accessible and run frame connectors front to back. That should make up for the inner structure of the rockers being rotted.
Need to see what the rest of it looks like.
Have you done this before? Do you have a pic of how it would look like? Would you just weld them together along the way?
The rest looks ok, rust is only in the hidden spots. The floors look great, and the other side I also opened a little window on the rocker panel and looked good.
He is talking about subframe connectors. I highly doubt anyone has done this to a Lincoln. I have done a bunch of through floor installs on Fox body Mustangs and it's pretty easy. Just Google "subframe connectors" and "through floor subframe connectors" and get an idea of how they build them. The through floor setup will be the strongest.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Same thing different name. If youre staying more or less stock with this car simpler ones installed underneath is all you really need and saves on working the interior around them.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Although looking at this under body of a 67 convertible it looks like either way is a bit of a challenge when the front half of the floor is higher and the bottom of the rear frame rails are flush with the floor. It'll be some fabrication work no matter what is done.
Attachments
11541_p32_l.jpg
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well...I've refuted Mr. Cashman before; and, well, my stubbornness is almost legendary when it comes to trying to prove a point. I've been in three crashes with Frankenstein, and we survived, which kind of lends credence to Lincolns being labeled in '55 as the safest cars made in America.

The safety standards of today are bound to be considered debatable at least by me, judging from some footage I've seen...not totally refutable, I must stress, just debatable. Plus, I do have to admit, I have cheated a bit in making Frankenstein safer than other 1966 cars, so that has to be factored in.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I hope we weren't too harsh on our first round of answers, some of us jaded old guys just hate rust! To be fair, it looks worse with the rocker cut away like that, and I think there are a lot of people who would have just slathered bondo over top and called it "Restored".
I have the same '61 exploded view that Mike posted, I once saw one for a '67, or I think I did, and it showed a rib inside there with "74 only", I have seen it in my conv., and it was not present in my 66, but I'll look closer at all the parts cars next spring.
The '61 press data claimed no extra bracing was required for the convertible, but that is clearly incorrect, as convertibles had bracing under and above the engine, anyway, I think that extra piece in the rocker was added when they stretched the wheelbase in '64.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

From what I recall, it was more than just an extra brace. I also remember seeing that there were additional gussets for rigidity and some of the metal was of thicker gauge
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

On the exploded view that middle piece looks to be 10461 which they call "reinforcement (floor side member) inner".

I thought I did see a reference to those under hood braces being convertible only before, and we know they are, but don't know where I saw that now.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
daniplee

Post by daniplee »

Thanks for that exploded view, it does look very similar (if not identical) to mine. It also checks out with what I'm seeing.
We are still gathering ideas, but i do think we will move forward with a repair, i'll keep you guys posted with the progress!
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible - restoration mode on- :D
daniplee

Post by daniplee »

just a quick update on progress:
IMG_4743.JPG
On a separate note, this morning one of the pipe fittings on end of the hydraulic pipe into the cylinder broke, releasing fluid everywhere. So cant close it now! Ordered the part, just love how your attention keeps getting diverted from what you really need to do.
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible - restoration mode on- :D

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”