Pertronix I - no start (new) on 460, video w/voltage

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

BobCT
Occasional Visitor

Re: Pertronix I - no start (new) on 460, video w/voltage

Post by BobCT »

ok, I got it running! Not well, but BACK to where I was six weeks ago. When I pulled the distributor to check the timing chain, I reinstalled it out 180 degrees. The piston was at the top of the stroke but exhaust, not compression. I still need to adj carb, prob have some vac leaks and timing.

Now, with my vac gauge connected, I need to rotate the distributor a little more but I'm out of room. Should I have reinstalled it with the vac advance pod in the middle so I have full travel in both directions?

I'll play around with this tomorrow. I think I'll run it with points for now, I'm sure the Pertronix module will work if I reinstall it. Thanks for all the many replies to keep me hammering away at!

Bob
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

It happens 😉

You may still be off a tooth. There should be plenty of room to rotate the body in either direction.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good job, Bob. I concur with Lee. You'll still need to pull the distributor again but not completely out, only enough to free the gear from the camshaft and twist the shaft one tooth forward or backward, depending on what direction you were going when the shell stopped. It's the distributor shaft, not the shell, that needs to be adjusted (remember, the shaft spins on its own). Before you do that, turn the engine to compression-TDC, so you don't lose your place; now that you have the distributor in the correct general alignment, it should be easy to know now when you are at compression-TDC.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

BobCT wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:03 pm ok, I got it running! Not well, but BACK to where I was six weeks ago. When I pulled the distributor to check the timing chain, I reinstalled it out 180 degrees. The piston was at the top of the stroke but exhaust, not compression. I still need to adj carb, prob have some vac leaks and timing.

Now, with my vac gauge connected, I need to rotate the distributor a little more but I'm out of room. Should I have reinstalled it with the vac advance pod in the middle so I have full travel in both directions?

I'll play around with this tomorrow. I think I'll run it with points for now, I'm sure the Pertronix module will work if I reinstall it. Thanks for all the many replies to keep me hammering away at!

Bob
Awesome! Yeah the whole thing sounded like a distributor issue/timing from the beginning. You are a tooth off.. happened to me, figure out if you need the distributor clockwise or counter cw and slightly lift it until you feel the gears are not touching, then spin a bit and push down so it only moves over a tooth.. at this point, the distributor will NOT go in, don’t force it.. just spin the crankshaft with a breaker bar slightly while pushing down on the distributor.. it will fall down in place.. now you should be on the correct tooth.. you need to spin the engine by hand or that tooth will not engage. After that, your vacuum advance should be somewhat in the middle and you should have enough travel In Either direction
- Emanuel
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

This is all WAY to complicated.... I would suggest buying this turn key and bolting it into your car.
https://jonkaaseracingengines.com/shop/ ... boss-nine/

It comes with the timing preset ready to roll! :dance:
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

With gas prices the way they are….!?😀
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

At $23.5g's, plus the headache of yanking the old engine out to make room for the new one...and hope it doesn't cause seating problems in the engine bay?

No, fixing the alignment of the distributor is easier.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)