61/62 PS lines replacement question

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

61/62 PS lines replacement question

Post by Ken Stevens »

I’ve had my 61 convertible for 30 years. It still has the OEM radiator with the trans fluid and PS fluid cooling fittings and works great. A previous owner replaced some of the lines and removed the valve unit the fluid passes through on the way to the wiper motor. In effect, it became like the 62 version except the radiator connections remain.

I’m intending to replace the pump and all the lines as the whole shebang is hemorrhaging fluid. Would there be any reason to keep the radiator connections for the hydraulic hoses or can I simply run the new return line directly to the reservoir like the 62 version?

I’m also having the timing cover pulled, the timing chain checked, and a replacement fuel pump pushrod eccentric installed. I was debating going with the 63 eccentric with the steel pushrod. Anyone ever done that?

An old geezer full of questions…
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 61/62 PS lines replacement question

Post by Lee »

Ken, in my opinion, you should be OK. Now if it still had the ‘61 wiper setup, I’d hesitate, if only because I’m not sure if that needed additional cooling, which was not apparently necessary in 1962. Just make sure you keep the same fluid routing map.

I don’t know about the ‘63 fuel pump setup, but are you having some problem that makes you suspect the rod or eccentric?
Attachments
IMG_1133.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

The pushrod has the bronzite tip. It completely wears off within a thousand miles. The 63 used an eccentric with an outer captive sleeve that spun on the oil film thereby permitting a solid steel pushrod as there is no wear point on the tip. I hope I am explaining that accurately.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The two part eccentric was used in all Ford engines by late '60s, but only Lincoln used a pushrod. I don't know why anyone would put the old style eccentric back in, the cost of upgrading is miniscule, by all means change it! (My opinion).
Also, I think the steering cooler was overkill, that's why it was discontinued, If you aren't concerned with originality, it is simply something else to go wrong.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I seem to remember Ron Baker also recommending such a change. After all, it's not like show judges will demand removing the front cover to verify the originality of the fuel pump pushrod. Such a change will be a true upgrade.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Ken, it's good to see you. Been a long time!
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Ken, I always enjoy looking at the photo of the blue convertible.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I have to say that I'm curious about the steering cooler, and why it was deleted after '61. I had recently wondered whether a cooler of some type could have benefits, to keep the components from suffering overheat damage. I suppose it was not really necessary...?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

The coolers in the rad tanks don't do all that much. They probably figured it wasn't worth the extra components.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I’ve seen examples of inline ps coolers on various other Fords over the years, but the ‘61 is the only example I know of where they used the radiator. I’m not sure what criteria the design engineers use to determine whether a certain model gets one.

In any event, leaving the cooler lines running through the radiator can’t hurt.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

As I think more about it, that cooler will also help to heat the fluid when cold, as a transmission cooler does, so maybe it serves something. Keeping it will cost more, and if you ever need a rad, you will be searching for the rarest one, but I still think it will be fine without it.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.