Six way power seat switches

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Six way power seat switches

Post by jon schapiro »

I have seen numerous pictures of Mark V’s catching on fire while sitting in the storage due to aged or defective six way power seat switches. These switches appear to be identical to the ones in my 1973 Lincoln coupe. The ones on the 1977 and newer Lincoln’s appear to be redesigned. I was wondering if I should add a battery cut off switch to my Lincoln while it is in storage for the winter? It probably can’t hurt to be safe.
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Six way power seat switches

Post by Mike »

There shouldnt really be more risk of it catching fire over the switch in storage then any other time. But I disconnect the battery when a car is sitting over winter. Mainly to make sure the battery doesn't go dead.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I have a battery disconnect just for good practice when the car sits for an extended amount of time. I also leave the battery on a maintainer
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

I believe Dan, the admin, had a good fix for these cars using a relay. The switch contacts can corrode and they are hot at all times. Don't remember what you had to do, but I don't think it was all that complex. Makes the windows faster as well I believe.
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I had one of these switches in my 77 and didn't have a problem, but that doesn't mean anything to the guy whose car burned.

I'd say the best practice would be to remove the switch, carefully disassemble it, cleaning out any metal shavings, applying deoxit for the contacts, then reassembling it. Inspect all the tightly crammed wiring in the driver door armrest and apply tape and padding where chafing or under pressure.

Short circuits from water may cause an issue, but the real fuel is high heat from high contact resistance. circuit breakers won't open for continuous loads even at their rated current, depending on temperature, for as much as two hours.

Protect your investment by removing the negative lead and float-charge your battery for long life.

The relay fix is for 60s front windows. I should invent a solid-state/magnetic switch with relays as a permanent fix. Maybe in another life.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Could not agree more, I’m no electrical engineer but I do know that dirt and corrosion means high resistance and high resistance means heat or fire. I always disconnect the battery widen my Lincolns sit, but opening up and throughly cleaning the switch and all contacts is a good move. The switches are nearly a half century old.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

Added a battery disconnect yesterday just to play it safe while in storage:
Attachments
2EB09C03-9963-4F08-9698-0B38177D03BE.jpeg
869C7640-636E-4D99-A9C6-8A3ABF9906BB.jpeg
(Pic missing)
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That's a good idea in itself anyway, if the car spends a lot of time dormant. I physically disconnected the cables from the new battery I installed in my mother's Mustang last year when I last visited her, before I made my return trip home, just to make sure the car didn't drain it out like it did with the battery before this current one. I'm hoping that, when the time comes to collect it, it should be easier to revive and drive.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

Tony - The Mustang computer has to relearn which takes about 5 miles of driving. I trickle charge my Mustang periodically to avoid the relearning process
(Pic missing)
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”