'63 Speedometer Not Working

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

'63 Speedometer Not Working

Post by mge825y »

I have a '63 Lincoln Continental that does not have speed control. The speedometer, which has been working for years with no issues, suddenly quit working and the needle was stuck on 50 MPH. But, the odometer still turns.

Today, I removed the speedometer housing from the dash. I disconnected the cable connector collar from the rear of the housing. I pulled the cable out a little and could turn the cable with my fingers - which meant to me that the cable isn't binding up or rubbing on the outer sheath. I went ahead and pulled the cable out. I cleaned it and then re-lubed it with a white lithium spray lube. I reinserted the cable and could again spin it with my fingers.

I took the speedometer housing / head unit to my bench where I have better lighting. I inspected it and didn't see anything visibly wrong or out-of-place. I did notice that the needle was no longer stuck on 50 MPH and had returned to 0. I cleaned the unit up a bit and replaced a couple of burned-out bulbs. I put everything back together and then went for a test drive. The odometer still turns but the speedometer needle doesn’t move. Ugh.

If the odometer is turning, at least I've ruled out a worn or broken gear at the transmission - right?

But if the speedometer doesn't move, does that mean the magnets aren't doing their magic and needs a rebuild?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: '63 Speedometer Not Working

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

I have taken gauge clusters apart before only to learn I shouldn't have done that..

I thought there was a spring in there that pushed the needle down and that spring did something with the magnets to make it work? I think whatever is broken in there will be above everyone's head unless someone here has worked in the cluster rebuilding field. I know there are a good number of rebuilders out on the internet. I used Zepco Speedometer Repair in Dallas a few years ago to rebuild a cluster on a 2001 f350 that was broken and they did an outstanding job. Idk if they ship but at least I can say they do good work!
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:18 am I have taken gauge clusters apart before only to learn I shouldn't have done that..

I thought there was a spring in there that pushed the needle down and that spring did something with the magnets to make it work? I think whatever is broken in there will be above everyone's head unless someone here has worked in the cluster rebuilding field. I know there are a good number of rebuilders out on the internet. I used Zepco Speedometer Repair in Dallas a few years ago to rebuild a cluster on a 2001 f350 that was broken and they did an outstanding job. Idk if they ship but at least I can say they do good work!

Yeah....I figure I'll be sending mine out for a rebuild unless someone here on the forum has any sage advice on how one can do this themselves.
Mark in Charlotte
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Any particular shop in mind? The speedometer in the Mark jumps around a lot going down the road. Idk if it's the speedometer, the cables, or that cruise control box thing under the hood.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Chevy, my experiences with oscillating speedometers have invariably been cable related. Either it needs some graphite lube, or it somehow got kinked somewhere. I suppose it’s also possible that the sheath ID is wallowed out, but I’ve never had that happen to me. I’d try running some lube down the sheath from both the head and the CC (or it may be easier to pull the cables out for lube at the cruise box).
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

If you have factory cruise, you have two speedo cables connected through the Speed-o-stat unit. Worth a check.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Mark; The speedometer is somewhat like a clock inside, the needle rides on tiny pins. If you can, clean it with solvent, then lube it with machine oil, that may help. also check the needle for clearance, it may be just barely touching somewhere. There is a very light spring, if broken the needle will go all the way to the right, if it has any bounce it is still intact. I doubt it would be kinked, unless there was some previous damage.
I can't find my spare '63 unit, so I'm going on memory, but I have tinkered with them before and had them work afterwards, but if your not comfortable doing so, perhaps a local clock maker will tackle it.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

An update on the speedometer....I shipped it up to Bob's Speedometer's in MI. After they inspected it, they found multiple problems. They are expecting to have it repaired by the end of the week.
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Speedometer was repaired by Bob's Speedometer's and shipped to me. I installed it over the weekend. Never an easy nor fun job but it's done. Won't be able to test drive it until I sort out some other unrelated problems under the hood.
Mark in Charlotte

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”