Hood release pull came off

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

C63linc

Hood release pull came off

Post by C63linc »

Hi. My hood release pull, pulled right off when I tried to open the hood. The cable is fine and nothing seems to be broken inside the pull or the male threaded end, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it back on. Doesn't catch on thread when trying to turn. I've attached pics (1963). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pull1.jpg
pull 2.jpg
pull 3.jpg
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Hood release pull came off

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Two tiny hex set screws on underside.
Loosen them, reinstall handle, tighten set screws.
Easiest fix ever for a Lincoln owner! :smt033
Attachments
20231008_181315.jpg
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
C63linc

Post by C63linc »

I saw those, but they look like pins (nothing on the head to turn)
pins.jpg
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I think you're right. I looked at mine even closer and they look like yours. I can find nothing on the hood latch in the 61MM or the 62-63 supplement that talks about it.
Maybe try some random searches here. You may find a post where someone has removed it to repair a broken release cable. IDK?
maybe I spoke too soon about easy. lol
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
C63linc

Post by C63linc »

I suspect the cable and pull are meant to be one piece. I’d rather not replace the cable so I'm thinking maybe I drill out the pins and replace them with screws. A less desirable option is to use a structural quality epoxy. Or both. Opinions?
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... ch#p391712

Found this old thread with pics. Looks like cable is attached to handle. Go figure. I eat my words.
I would definitely try to drill and tap because the mounting pin looks like it would easily accept a set screw or two, the way it is notched.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You could JB Weld that thing on. Clean everything up, mix it up, apply appropriately, connect the two, clean up any excess while wet, let them sit for 24-48 hours, then pull.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dittos that, actually; I can attest to JB Weld's versatility if handled correctly. You could do a double-tap as you initially asked: Drill and tap a screw hole in the handle, install a screw of identical size/pitch, then apply JB Weld to the inside of the handle and push it into place on the cable end, then tighten down the screw onto the end. Wait a full day or two, and you should never have that problem again...at least, not on that end.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”