64 Jigsaw project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

64 Jigsaw project

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

Hi, my name is Tony and I live in New Zealand. I purchased a 64 Lincoln 5 months ago out of Yuba city, California. It was shipped to NZ in a container. It arrived 1 month ago.
I am looking forward to the challenge of putting it back together. I will be asking lots of questions, I have a copy of the service manual which is s bonus. There is a 61 here in my home town so hope to make friends with him and visit him for reference photos
Attachments
64718917-D48B-4356-A7A5-1032E365F79E.jpeg
214B9A4E-5CC5-40EE-ABE4-A98B3B02637D.jpeg
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

Re: 64 Jigsaw project

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

First question; how is the stainless steel molding that goes above the windshield held in place, don't have any clips, do I use a black sealant between the body and rubber and squeeze the trim into it ?
Appreciate any help.
Cheers, Tony
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Welcome, Tony. Those moldings are held by clips. While I don’t know how many, or the exact location in ‘64, you should contact Dan for access to the Master Parts Catalog, which will have parts diagrams that the manual may not have.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... on#p416108
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Welcome, Tony. You have quite the project. A puzzle without the picture of the final product.

I recommend you try to find another 64 in NZ to take a lot of pictures of, but we’ll help you as much as we can.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have lots of docs for 1964. Never owned one, though.
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

Hi Lee and Dan,
Thanks for the welcome, always great to find a forum to join so you are not alone in tackling a project.
Have 90% of what I need to finish the car. Am missing the dash filler panel behind the windshield and the trim the covers the headliner where it meets the windshield. Have contacted Brownie Auto Salvage in Texas and he has both parts. I have a mate who is bringing in a car to NZ from California so will ship parts to California and put them in his car. Guy wants $300.
Just had a look at area where windshield trim clips should be and all holes look to be welded over. I will have to use a sealant or glue to hold trim.
Question; the white clips on the door sponge are really tight going into the plugs in the door, any secret or do I just use more force ?
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

Photo of sponge, clip etc

Also photo of my jigsaw dash area
Attachments
F76C2458-3C40-4D0E-AEC3-FF9A873E58BD.jpeg
A1B2FEF8-5426-478F-98C4-A52EE463BE66.jpeg
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tony, I’m not sure whose reproduction you are using, but it’s pretty common to need to “massage” some repop parts to get them to work. The clips on my 62 popped right in, but that was over 10 years ago. Don’t forget you’ll need to use weatherstrip adhesive (the clips alone will not hold them in place)
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Oops. I had a feeling there was something I forgot when I did Frankenstein's weatherstripping 11 years ago. :oops:

Anyway, Tony, welcome aboard. :smt006 It's more than merely a bonus to have the corresponding shop manual to go to your car; it's virtually a requirement for anyone who owns or aspires to own a clap-door Lincoln. The chapter that covers body servicing—17, I believe, if the '64 remains consistent with the '66/7 manuals—will get into the details of how to secure the windshield molding. You should not use any goo to secure those trim pieces; you may, however, need some windshield sealant to go onto the edge of the glass if you come across any water leaks from that area when it rains...but even so, on your year that would be a mere temporary patch-up, as the windshields of that year went on with rubber gaskets. The manual may or may not tell you just how many retaining clips are involved in securing the trim pieces; if it doesn't, then count the mounting points around the windshield. You'll see small retainers around the perimeter, resembling small nail heads; the clips will attach on them.

As for the kinds of clips, I'm not able to give a definitive answer; it's possible that they were of a different design in '64 from the ones used in '66 and later, the latter of which I can find easily on E-Bay. It would help if you had at least one for reference, to confirm whether they're different or not. But I would suggest starting with our "Usual Suspects," at least to verify the designs, maybe even get what you need.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

Hi TonyC,
Thank you for your reply and welcome. Yes in the very short time I have had car I have had to consult the manual.
The windshield is in and has a new moulding. The lugs for the clips have been removed. I searched the clips and they look identical to the ones I used for my 71 cuda. Issue would be drilling the holes and getting screws in for the correct placement of the clip. Went to see my friend who owns a windshield replacement business and he said I should use a sealant between the rubber and glass, then use a urethane between the rubber and body. Then squeeze the moulding into the urethane before it sets.
The plugs in the doors for the white clips to go into have been painted so I got the time consuming task of removing excess paint

Did make a small bonus find when I came across 2 rubber j shaped door glass belts.

Am working this weekend so no car time. Have got 4 parts that I want to find where on the car they go. Am hoping a member recognises them. 2 are trim work , think others are part of the doors ??
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

Photos
Attachments
F6487ADA-87CC-43C7-B0A3-9447A640E9F4.jpeg
754F01CA-E430-4EEF-957F-2E0A6CBC7F5D.jpeg
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The upper photo are what I call shadow mouldings, they go behind the bumper corners, before the bumpers are installed. I see yours are already on, so you need to remove the corners, likely the screw holes were filled before paint. The other parts fill a gap at each end of the dash, and have similar fillers at the top of the door. This is in the area where the door and dash come together.
I would not use urethane on those mouldings, If you ever need to change a windshield you will never get the mouldings off without destroying them! Any body shop will have a tool for spot welding the trim studs back on.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TONY NZ 64
Frequent Contributor

Post by TONY NZ 64 »

Hi Frasern,
Thank you for your great reply. Quite a few parts have been quickly reassembled by the previous owner in order to transport the car. Was planning on taking the bumpers off, will now put those trim pieces aside for when I reassemble the bumper.
I would rather not glue the trim in so will look at at buying some clips. Always an option to remove the windshield and do it properly. My auto glass friend surprised me when he said he had a Lincoln in his shop, it is a 74, I will go back and see if I can see any clips . When I look at mine and run my finger along the area where the clips should be I can feel small indentations .I will investigate further.
Cheers
Tony
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I don't think you have to remove the glass, the moulding should go over it. I have a '62 parts sedan, I will have a closer look at that moulding this weekend. Your friends '74 is not comparable, it is set into a butyl seal whereas yours uses a channel gasket.
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

frasern wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:13 pm Your friends '74 is not comparable, it is set into a butyl seal whereas yours uses a channel gasket.
My mistake, I was thinking '62, I think '64 was the first year for butyl.

I had a look at my parts cars, I have no '64, but here is a clip stud on a '66.
DSCF7094 (2).JPG
This is the original windshield, set in a butyl strip. As you can see, they are set back, beside the glass. Most glass shops now use urethane from a tube, and usually, they are a bit sloppy, if your channel was overfilled, the studs may just be buried.
'62 and '67 LCC.