1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Sport 4dr Lucille

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Sport 4dr Lucille

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Well I conceded a loss on the bet as my parts did not arrive on time. However, in doing so I did find an alternator and generator repair shop that will rebuild and clean my starter with my supplied parts for $125.00. In addition they will check my generator to ensure I rebuilt that properly and is functioning as expected .. :dance:

I consider this a win win .. lol

Thanks for the help in getting me to this point ... I'd love to have this running again before Christmas.
-- Respect The Rust --
** See My First Post For a Complete Index of the Restoration **
- Makes things easier to find - :grin:
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

GM,
I would like to take this post to paint a picture .. I dropped off my starter today and had my generator tested as well .. First off, I rebuilt my generator correctly, it is working perfectly fine .. :dance:

This painting is titled; Central Florida Remanufactory Corp: 407-299-9011
Picture a 2500 square foot warehouse, with a walk up counter and two standard bay doors which is how you enter. then, off in the distance against a far wall in the corner you see these immaculate work stations in the sense that all tools are laid out properly the equipment looks like its been serviced, but dirty from use. Now in order to get to these proper work/test stations to HAVE to walk along this designated path because you are otherwise surrounded by Alternators and starters piled on the floor throughout the entire warehouse as if they were piled by a fork lift. I mean starters and such on all surfaces not used for work or testing, shopping carts full of starters. Alternators on chairs and furniture, the counter tops are piled with starters to the point where you could not fill out a receipt off the counter top. Yet among this "chaos" the old timer that helped me was interrupted while helping me and was asked about a specific part off a specific alternator. To which he pointed to a specific pile and said, "look over there, towards the top". :smt005
Sure enough the tech found what he was looking for and went back to work.

I LOVE THIS SHOP !! I should be getting my starter back later this afternoon. The old timer did comment, "It's been a while since one of these walked in here." He also mentioned I did not have to bring my own parts he had them in the shop .. lol

***Edit***
Their honest too .. lol, quoted $125.00, charged me $95.00 out the door and did not change my brushes because they said the existing ones were in excellent condition ..
Attachments
IMG_20231209_093003.jpg
IMG_20231209_092930.jpg
IMG_20231209_084207.jpg
-- Respect The Rust --
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

OK, so the more I work on this the more I learn .. lol
I figured while I have the starter out, I would address the oil leak and change the oil pan / transmission gaskets to dry up the bottom end. That being said, I am including a page out of my manual, and it shows multiple layers of the oil pan which include multiple gaskets. I have never encountered a two piece oil pan and furthermore have never seen the gasket set, just the gasket that seals the pan to the block ..
Lucy, you have some splaining to do .. lol
Thank you for your insight as I dig deeper ..
Attachments
78 - Oil Pan.pdf
(327.54 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
-- Respect The Rust --
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Well here are the screen shots for the gaskets for this beast and yes it has two gaskets that make up the oil pan. The second seems to be a pan to sump gasket. Now after getting under this for a bit, I am going to defer the pan gasket / starter replacements to a local mechanic I trust. Having this car lifted on jack stands to the limit of my stands just to be comfortable, makes me uncomfortable. So best to do this on a lift.
Attachments
Oil Pan Gasket Set.png
Transmission Gasket Set.png
-- Respect The Rust --
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Ivan, I’ll wager before you are finished with that car that you’ll spend enough extra taking it to professionals who have a lift, to buy your own lift.

Of course, sometimes it’s nice to have a ready excuse to take some cars to a professional :lol:
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Lee wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:39 pm Ivan, I’ll wager before you are finished with that car that you’ll spend enough extra taking it to professionals who have a lift, to buy your own lift.

Of course, sometimes it’s nice to have a ready excuse to take some cars to a professional :lol:
I will not enter into that bet because you are right, I am prepping my parking pad for a lift, so hopefully 2024 will bring me a lift and a covered garage for my parking pad .. lol
-- Respect The Rust --
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Hey guys, I have had my attention split between some other projects lately, so Lucille has kinda taken a back seat. That being said, in the meantime I am trying to locate what will be some of the most troublesome parts in my opinion. In no particular order:

- Vacuum powered antenna
- The front door vent window assemblies (What connects the window to the handles and turns the window open.)

I am noticing that their are less and less of these in the parts queue, so finding alternatives based on the fact that manufacturers recycle parts for years jumping across models and years, Therefore my thoughts are:

- I should be able to use the vacuum antennas from Cadillacs. I have seen a few versions of these and they look identical to what my own should look like.
- Would there be another vehicle that would use the front quarter window mechanism, like Ford Model X, or Mercury Model Y. I'm sure some of you have a broader knowledge base on the post war vehicles.

Thanks for the assist. (As I troll Ebay day in day out)
-- Respect The Rust --
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Ivan, I'll see if I can find some PN's tomorrow, but is your car missing the mechanisms, or is it just in need of repair?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My gut says the antennas will be similar, measure the mast, the bezel will be different as well. The electric antennas used through the '60s and'70s were all the same design, Ford and GM. Same supplier, just tweaked for their respective body shape, so my thought is that similarity also existed with the earlier vacuum units.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Sorry Ivan. I don’t have the regulator pn’s. Not sure if Mercury’s had a vent window mechanism, but if so, it’s quite possible they interchange.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

The 1949 - 1951 Mercury had front vent windows. I doubt that the mechanism will interchange with the 1949 Cosmopolitan as the bodies and doors were completely different. Here is a drawing of the 1953-1953 Lincoln door parts showing the vent window mechanism. It is different than yours, but it will give you an idea of what to look for. You can contact regulator Roy to see if he has what you need.
http://www.regulatorroy.net/index.htm#product
52-53-lincoln-door-windows.jpg

The vacuum antenna from a 1947 - 1954 car should work in your car. You will have to find the bezel and mounting bracket for your car or make your own.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Tom, I’ve never heard of him, but he sounds like a good resource to have in your back pocket. Have you ever used him?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

Lee wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:04 pm Ivan, I'll see if I can find some PN's tomorrow, but is your car missing the mechanisms, or is it just in need of repair?
They are completely missing from both doors, the windows are there and I have the handles, go figure, just nothing to connect them to ..
Lee wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:23 pm Sorry Ivan. I don’t have the regulator pn’s. Not sure if Mercury’s had a vent window mechanism, but if so, it’s quite possible they interchange.
Give me a few days and I'll get the regulator P/N's I have the service books ..
frasern wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:52 am My gut says the antennas will be similar, measure the mast, the bezel will be different as well. The electric antennas used through the '60s and'70s were all the same design, Ford and GM. Same supplier, just tweaked for their respective body shape, so my thought is that similarity also existed with the earlier vacuum units.
I've seen the pics of the Cadillac ones, they look identical, but like you mentioned the bezels will be different for the fender of the car, and I would have no problems fabricating the mounting bracket to the inner fender.

Once again, thank you for what seems to be infinite wisdom .. :clap:
-- Respect The Rust --
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Lee, I have never used Regulator Roy, but have seen good reports on other Forums. He specializes in NOS regulators.
Ivan, try to find a Body Parts Catalog for your car or ask someone in the LCOC if they can give you the P/N needed. There are several Cosmopolitins in the RRLR also, but I can't give you any contact information.

Did you ever buy the CD that included the Shop Manual and parts catalogs? Here is a link to one seller of the CD, there may be other sellers that charge less.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401628091940?i ... BM-Jbm685j
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
My_49_Lucille
Occasional Visitor

Post by My_49_Lucille »

tomo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:48 pm Lee, I have never used Regulator Roy, but have seen good reports on other Forums. He specializes in NOS regulators.
Ivan, try to find a Body Parts Catalog for your car or ask someone in the LCOC if they can give you the P/N needed. There are several Cosmopolitins in the RRLR also, but I can't give you any contact information.

Did you ever buy the CD that included the Shop Manual and parts catalogs? Here is a link to one seller of the CD, there may be other sellers that charge less.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401628091940?i ... BM-Jbm685j
I haven't bought that yet, I have what I believe to be a complete set of dealer repair manuals including the body / electrical and so on. I just do not have the time to dig through the nearly 1K pages of info. Slowly I am organizing and scanning the books to make it easier to catalog and to preserve it as they are complete, but not completely held together.
-- Respect The Rust --