Automatic Choke lever!!!

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, transmission, wheels, and other items related to the moving the car.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

PeruLincoln
Occasional Visitor

Automatic Choke lever!!!

Post by PeruLincoln »

Putting together mi carter carburetor from my 66 sedan, I was wondering if that lever behind the choke is supposed to move freely because I have to exert a lot of force on it to move!! I will apréciate your help!!!
Attachments
4A8A4ECA-E73B-4A9F-833A-F6F01BCAB6CA.jpeg
1A5D01AC-3A98-4B7E-A30E-17024DC43FCE.jpeg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Choke lever!!!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yeah, it should be smooth as silk. It’s gummed up.

Hit it with carb cleaner and work it free.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, Dan's right; that piston lever needs to be a free-mover once the spring is freed from it. If carb-cleaner spray alone doesn't seem to work, you may need to dip it in carburetor solvent...but remember to remove the black housing cover, because that could get eaten by the solvent. After letting it soak in the solvent for a while (from a few hours to a day, shouldn't be longer than the latter), then hit it with carb spray. When you re-install the black cover, you need to make sure the end tab of the spring inside the cover slips in between the fork ends of the piston lever inside.

You notice that black round bit at the bottom of the housing's back in the second picture? That is (or was, actually) a gasket meant to seal the housing from vacuum leaks. It's obviously toasted. If you happen to have a carburetor seal kit for your Carter and wondered what the extra tiny O-ring was for, now you know; you'll have to pry out the flattened remains with a small chisel or screwdriver, then press a new O-ring in (maybe use a very small amount of sealant just to hold it in place while putting the choke housing back on). If you don't have a seal kit, you should still be able to find a replacement O-ring at a parts or hardware store. Measure the hole it goes in so you know what size to get.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
PeruLincoln
Occasional Visitor

Post by PeruLincoln »

Dan and Tony, thank you!!!