63 Door Lock Cylinder

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

63 Door Lock Cylinder

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

The doors that cover the holes broke and I need a new cylinder. The key code is FE488. If I can get a cylinder with that code, my existing keys will work.

I did email some of the places to see if any are around. Picture attached.

Anyone out there have one?

Thanks.
Attachments
lock code FE488.jpeg
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 63 Door Lock Cylinder

Post by RMAENV »

Stu,

I believe any good lock smith should be able to recode any Lincoln lock cylinder to your key code. Call around. You are probably better off contacting a safe and lock shop (actual store) than these mobile guys but some of them might be able to recode a new cylinder for you.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Stu,

I need clarification on what you meant by the doors that cover the holes of your lock cylinders. Do you mean that you have flip-covers over your locks, like in '61? If so, I didn't know they still did those beyond that year. If that's the case, then they must have used them in '62 as well, meaning you'd have three years to peruse for replacements. Someone should have an organ donor that could set you up.

As for the differing tumblers, I can tell you that will not be an issue for any reputable automotive locksmith. You have the factory key code, and you have the physical key; one or the other will be enough for a locksmith to alter the tumblers to fit your existing key. I had that done with all of Frankenstein's locks long ago, at a locksmith kiosk, not even a full-fledged shop, and had no issues with my keys.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The outside locks were changed from rectangular to round in '62. I have read that was for easier operation, however I think it was really for cost, as the round ones are likely the same as all other Fords of the time. Now I'm curious, so I'll have to compare to the one on my parts truck!
Stu; I don't know what the code is, but I have one on my '63 parts car you can have for shipping (no key), but likely you can get one from Jessers or the like easier. If the flap is just stuck in, you may be able to free it by putting it in a jar of solvent, stir it a bit, then blow out with air. Repeat if needed, then lubricate with a graphite product.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Got one coming from Chris Dunn, thanks!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Oh, I'm an idiot. It just occurred to me what you meant. It isn't an outside cover like they did in '61; you meant the sprung flap built inside the cylinder, didn't you? Sorry, I don't know why it took me so long for that to register. But, glad you have a good replacement coming. Now, while you're waiting for that to come in, shop around for a reputable locksmith who can and will re-pin the cylinder to fit your key, one who knows to apply GM work to a Ford cylinder; they may be a bit surprised to see a Ford cylinder that was made before the two-way era.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

My curiosity got the better of me, so I compared a Lincoln lock and a "62 truck.
DSCF5454 (2).JPG
DSCF5456 (2).JPG
'63 Lincoln on left. Once the arms are removed, the lock itself is the same. A matched set of 3 locks from Carpenter for a truck is about 35 bucks, and any locksmith (or mad scientist) should be able to swap the extensions.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”