69 headlight switch cutting out

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

69 headlight switch cutting out

Post by vashtsdaytona »

69 4dr.

issues with headlight switch, which is also interpterion lights on by rotating all the way and dash light dimmer. dimmer seems to have a dead spot. Thinking a clean up might solve that.

Bigger issue is lights on high, most of the time (not all the time) most of the time after running a bit they must get hot and trip the breaker. which does reset, and low beam does not do this

What i would like to confirm is, as i recall reading this switch is an all in one unit right? with a circuit breaker built it? perhaps a cleaning or rebuild? maybe replacement? or i was thinking worst case bypass the breaker and just use it as a relay trigger and not pump the amps through it?

to remove/gain access to the switch, remove lower plastics below dash and come up the bottom? being its on the lower section. i dont think id need to pull the gauge cluster? maybe i do? my only concern is id rather not have to remove my dash pad. being that was just remade and expensive. i want to avoid touching that at all costs for longevity sake
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 69 headlight switch cutting out

Post by JimA »

Were the original headlight bulbs replaced with bulbs that draw more current? If yes, a relay to avoid high current thru the switch is an answer. Relay will also solve the cutting out problem with original style bulbs. Works for me.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The circuit breaker inside the headlight switch. It is not serviceable or replaceable.

Over time the breaker can get weak and trip at lower current draws. (or really heat) However it could be possible to reduce the headlight draw by moving to a headlight that draws less current. Like LED. However the circuit breaker is an electrical safety device. If you have one that is losing performance, replacement is recommended. I would not take chances with safety feature. As to replacement of the switch, I don't have that answer. If you don't have a factory shop manual, I would recommend a set. (even if you don't do the work) And you are correct the "dead" spot in the head light dimmer controlled instrument panel illumination is because of a poor connection at the headlight switch. This is accessible after removing the switch, there is a coil and a copper contact that can be cleaned.

One other thing to inspect and correct as needed. Loose or dirty connections in the head light circuit can be an issue as well. A poor electrical connection will create additional draw to over come resistance of a poor connection. Clean the connections as needed.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

From my experience, a switch that has tripped once, will get progressively weaker. There is no science behind that, just my opinion. As for the dimmer, that round coil is cemented in place, and the dead spot is likely a section which has come loose. Anything you do, will require removal anyway, so why not just replace? Remember, that switch also sends power to the tail lights etc., so the 69 switch may have a smaller internal breaker than 66/67.
Any type of non stock headlight will draw a different load than stock, so a relay setup with it's own breaker, matched to the load, may be best. That will also shorten the route from the battery to the headlights, so less resistance.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

yes i have service manual, yes i do all my own work. all my bulbs in the car are new, but replaced with matching correct value incandescents.

i suppose i will pull the switch and give it a look over. if replacement cant be found, i think relay is the way to go

does anyone know the amp rating of the breaker? perhaps its is marked once inside? I can easily measure the amp load it trips at. to determine weak breaker or too much load, perhaps do to old wiring or corroded bulb sockets.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

One time, on a very dark, moonless, deserted, Saskatchewan road, I had a relay cut out without warning at highway speed. That was an eye opener! After it happens once, you get to know enough to flip to low, but the first time, I was unprepared. I now like the relay approach. If you go with that, I would just measure the draw of the headlights you are using, rather than matching what the the original switch used. In the meantime, unplugging one inner high beam will stop the surprises.
On my 77 F250, I added Bosch quartz headlights with 2 breakers and relays, one for each side. Probably overkill, but one side will always stay on.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Here is plug and play relay kit I used on my 63 sedan w/ auto dim. This one no longer in stock, but a search for 9003/H4 relay harness will bring up other brands. This one I used was very easy to install w/ zero wire cutting or splicing. All 100% plug and play. Also fixed my flickering issue. I never replaced my headlight switch, as this fixed the issue.

http://www.autodirectsave.com/9003-H4-H ... 4C412.aspx
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

I believe the circuit breaker built into the headlight switch is only for the headlights. Other lighting circuits are separately fused.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

George W wrote:I believe the circuit breaker built into the headlight switch is only for the headlights. Other lighting circuits are separately fused.
This is correct. All other exterior lighting controlled by the head light switch have fuse protection in the fuse box.
The breaker rating might be listed in the owner's manual. (If you do not have one, I would recommend getting the owner's manual. Readily available.
I think the breaker rating is in the 15 amps range.

With clean and tight wiring harness and connectors you should not need a relay. A working head light switch with a good breaker was designed to handle the load. The breaker cutting out the head lamps is a communication that there is an issue. Either with the breaker or with harness and connections. If there was a short to ground the breaker would switch open immediately when the headlight switch was turned on. The stated concern is not that. Installing a relay can mask a harness problem is that issue is not addressed. A relay will take the load off of the headlight switch. And that assumes the breaker in the switch is getting tired and there is not a different issue.

Moving to a low beam head lamp that draw less current and provides more light. Halogen, LED or .... Will be effective as well.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

2 breakers and relays, one for each side. Probably overkill, but one side will always stay on.
I also did that for the same reason.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

Suicidekid63 wrote:Here is plug and play relay kit I used on my 63 sedan w/ auto dim. This one no longer in stock, but a search for 9003/H4 relay harness will bring up other brands. This one I used was very easy to install w/ zero wire cutting or splicing. All 100% plug and play. Also fixed my flickering issue. I never replaced my headlight switch, as this fixed the issue.

with such a kit does your highbeam indicator still light on the dash?

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I will explore more to see how I want to approach it.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

vashtsdaytona wrote:
Suicidekid63 wrote:Here is plug and play relay kit I used on my 63 sedan w/ auto dim. This one no longer in stock, but a search for 9003/H4 relay harness will bring up other brands. This one I used was very easy to install w/ zero wire cutting or splicing. All 100% plug and play. Also fixed my flickering issue. I never replaced my headlight switch, as this fixed the issue.

with such a kit does your highbeam indicator still light on the dash?
It does and I also have autodimmer and it too, functions as it should.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

When I upgraded my headlights to halogens, I also installed a relay harness. Takes the load off the aging switch and wiring and you get a full 12 volts for maximum brightness.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I had the same issue with flickering headlights as you're having. The original owner of my '63 had replaced the incandescents with halogens. I pulled the headlight switch and found it to be scorched and scored. At the time, LithiumCobalt recommended that I add the relay harness like SuicideKid63 recommended for you. Which I did.

When I got ready to add the relay and the new switch, I also tested the wires to the headlights for continuity and found I had a short. So I started manually tracing the wire from the front near the headlights all the way back to the source. I didn't have to go very far. I found that the insulator for the wires had chaffed against the metal as it emerges up in front of the battery box. The wires were making intermittent contact with the metal of the fender well. Probably had been going on for years and years and figure it was the root cause of all my headlight woes. I went ahead and installed the new headlight switch I purchased from LincolnLand. Plus, I proceeded to add the headlight relays for good measure and haven't had any problems since then.

I mention all that to say that you may want to do the same (check the continuity of the headlight wires) to make sure you don't have a short.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

I went with the relay kit. But I might have made a mistake. I don't remember, I think, I think low beams are outer lamps and high beam is the inner ones?
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”