Proper under hood stickers/labels for 1965 models

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

George W
Lincoln Maniac

Proper under hood stickers/labels for 1965 models

Post by George W »

Should there be any stickers or labels on the side of the air cleaner housing on the passenger side of the car ? My car has the remains of the Autolite sticker on the driver's side but there appears to be no signs of any stickers or labels on the passenger side. Also, the Authenticity manual calls for a CAUTION fan sticker on the radiator shroud. Again I see no signs of one having been present on mine so I have to assume that one was there originally and it's gone. I see some vendors are offering packages of stickers than include a 430-4V and FRONT stickers but I don't recollect 64s or 65s having these. Any comments as to what I should have ? My next project is refinishing the air filter housing as I'm working my way back slowly from the radiator.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Proper under hood stickers/labels for 1965 models

Post by TonyC »

The "4v - 430" stickers are very nice additions in my opinion, but they are by no means authentic. Lincoln did not use decals advertising CID or number of barrels until 1966. I cannot speak for a "FRONT" decal; however, I would think that's another redundant non-authentic addition, as the word is already embossed into the metal of the air cleaner. Now, from everything I've seen over the years, the "CAUTION" decal is genuine. Of course, we are talking about an adhesive decal on a fiberglass part; when the adhesive wears off, you'll see virtually no trace that anything was placed there, unlike stickers on metal parts. Even so, where the latter was concerned, on Frankenstein's original air cleaner, the "4V - 462" decal was missing entirely, and I could not really see any evidence that one was ever installed. It took me several years to finally see traces of adhesive to confirm that there used to be one there.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Proper under hood stickers/labels for 1965 models

Post by George W »

Thanks for the input. I'm in agreement regarding the fan shroud label as I did throughly clean the fiberglass and there could have been traces of adhesive there.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles