Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Can't wait to get started on this car. It's already very nice, but we all know they are never done. Bought this from an awesome gentlemen in Flint, MI this morning and drove it home three hours without issue. Despite the big rims/rubber band tires, ride quality was surprisingly not compromised too much. Been looking for so damn long....glad I finally found one worth my money.

Most pressing items on the list so far:

Powdercoat the original rims and getting a new set of whitewall tires mounted so that the car looks proper. I will have the aftermarket rims up for sale.
Fix the driver side exhaust manifold blow-out

Will update as I go along and add more bits about the car. As usual, the garage is never big enough.
Attachments
Washed and tucked away for a few days
Washed and tucked away for a few days
My garage isn't big enough
My garage isn't big enough
Nice original interior
Nice original interior
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

Post by John Mc »

Congratulations!! What an exciting, keep us all posted with tons of pictures. Forgot to ask, are you a LCOC member??? If not come join us, see my signature or PM me.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Welcome back to the wonderful world of '67 Lincoln ownership. Good to see a nice Lincoln going to a good home. Good luck with your newest pursuit. I'll be following your progress.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Thanks guys. Glad to be back. Took the longest time to find something nice. These cars just do not come up that often. Funny thing about it was this car was never advertised for sale. The seller contacted me via Facebook replying to my want ad. He named his price. Sounded reasonable. Went to see it and the car was actually nicer than the photos indicated. That happens almost never. Meant to be, I guess.

Unfortunately won't have much driving weather left, but plenty to keep me busy in the off season.

John, I've been a member of the LCOC for quite a few years now, albeit not very active. Now that I own a Lincoln again, I'll have something to participate with.

Bit of a buzzkill, I had to leave town for a few days for work a few hours after I got the car home. I hope the days go fast!

Much more to follow.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Can't wait to get started on this car.
Congratulations on a nice looking car. So happy to hear this one will be brought back from the mods back to original. A nice set of white walls will really set it off. Paint looks nice from the pics.

Will be looking forward to seeing and reading about your adventures with her.

Need any parts? Just ran across this 67 vert for only $6500. Seller also has a 67 Coupe he bought for the motor. Bet both could be had for less. Of course, neither is even a fraction as nice as yours and you would have to be a glutton for punishment to take them on!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Lincoln-Co ... gB&vxp=mtr
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Steve K wrote:
LithiumCobalt wrote:Can't wait to get started on this car.
Congratulations on a nice looking car. So happy to hear this one will be brought back from the mods back to original. A nice set of white walls will really set it off. Paint looks nice from the pics.

Will be looking forward to seeing and reading about your adventures with her.

Need any parts? Just ran across this 67 vert for only $6500. Seller also has a 67 Coupe he bought for the motor. Bet both could be had for less. Of course, neither is even a fraction as nice as yours and you would have to be a glutton for punishment to take them on!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Lincoln-Co ... gB&vxp=mtr
Fortunately, the only deviation from stock on this car were the wheels. Luckily, the seller had all five original rims. Four of the rims have what appear to be factory tires on them, but I have not had time to research it. Car shows 70k miles on it. I wouldn't use these tires given their age, but would be nice for authenticity if you were going to have them reproduced. I will likely keep one for a spare. Amazingly, the rubber still feels pliable. I will snap some photos of them.

Paint on this car is excellent. I'd venture to guess the second owner spent on paint what I paid for the whole car. I've got photos that show it being stripped down to bare metal. They really did it right.

As far as fixer uppers go, I think I am done with that routine. I've travelled that road before and don't care to do it again. I do need an upper and lower rear bumper, though. Story on that to follow. Other than that, the exterior needs absolutely nothing.
Nick
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

That original interior is striking and looks to me like a very well maintained 70,000 mile interior. Super nice find!
It proves they are still out there.
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

John Mc wrote:That original interior is striking and looks to me like a very well maintained 70,000 mile interior. Super nice find!
It proves they are still out there.
Thank you. Yes, they are still out there, but I have found that you can look until the end of time, but may not find one. I just happened to get very lucky that the seller reached out. I too think the interior could support the 70k odometer reading. It would look far worse with 170k on it.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I'm sure you looked closely at the brake pedal as it may provide a clue to the true mileage on the car. I agree with bringing it back to original as I prefer stock or near to it, even though I enjoy mild and wild customs too.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Yep, brake pedal still looks fresh-ish without excessive wear. Another good sign.

Had a look at the exhaust manifold on the driver side tonight. Seems as though someone had been in there before. Leafed through some of the old records I have and sure enough back in 1973 the exhaust manifolds were worked on. Looked closer at the manifold and saw a C2xx part number on it. No wonder it doesn't work right. Not even the correct manifold. They also used a non-original type gasket (one of the crushable types) and it finally gave out from heat around the front exhaust port. Suppose it's time to look for a manifold. Got the correct heat shields on the way from Bakers.

Meanwhile, the original rims went in for powdercoating today. Excited to get those back next week and get a set of tires put on.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Not the most interesting, but here are a few shots of the tires that came mounted on the original rims. Oldies. I don't think these are original, but the whitewall stripe sure looks like it mimics the original size. I'm guessing these are from the 70s.
Attachments
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5386.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_5390.JPG
Nick
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Had a look at the exhaust manifold on the driver side tonight. Seems as though someone had been in there before. Leafed through some of the old records I have and sure enough back in 1973 the exhaust manifolds were worked on. Looked closer at the manifold and saw a C2xx part number on it. No wonder it doesn't work right. Not even the correct manifold. They also used a non-original type gasket (one of the crushable types) and it finally gave out from heat around the front exhaust port. Suppose it's time to look for a manifold. Got the correct heat shields on the way from Bakers.

Meanwhile, the original rims went in for powdercoating today. Excited to get those back next week and get a set of tires put on.
I'll bet those rims would do well on Craig's List or Ebay - perhaps offset some of the upcoming costs.
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

John Mc wrote: I'll bet those rims would do well on Craig's List or Ebay - perhaps offset some of the upcoming costs.
Yep, that is my plan. Hopefully it will at least offset the new tires and rim powder coating.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Another tidbit....the car came with a Ford Executive garage key chain. Not sure if it means anything at all. Still trying to piece together the history of the original owners, Clarence and Gloria Soulliard. Owner card shows they lived in Gross Pointe Park, MI when the car was purchased in December of 1966 (appears it may have been a Christmas gift). Only thing is, Clarence worked for Budd Company in Pennsylvania as a corporate personnel manager since 1956. Can't find anything tying them to Michigan. Found both of the obituaries. May reach out to the kids to find about their mom and dad and see if they remember the car.
Attachments
IMG_5423.jpg
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Finally, some proper whitewall tires with powder coated original rims. She's a beaut, Clark.

Before:
IMG_5428.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG
After:
IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG
IMG_5432.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG
Yeah, I know the rear bumper is trashed. It's on the list.
Nick