Where's the love for 1958-1960 Lincolns?

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Where's the love for 1958-1960 Lincolns?

Post by TonyC »

Actually, the '59s still had the coil-spring setup...and the corresponding problems (which I didn't specifically know until now!). It was the '60 models that were re-engineered for leaf springs. But the '60 models were put into production in '59, so Lee is technically correct.

I will admit, seeing a '58 would be a cool sight to see. I did see one, a Continental-III model, in almost museum condition at a used-car lot in Copperas Cove in 2002. A year later, when I reported to Fort Hood for assignment, I saw that '58 again at the processing center; apparently, somebody bought it. At the time I didn't have Frankenstein fully revived, so I didn't bother looking for the owner of that '58 (who likely was out-processing from The Hood by then).

From a historical perspective, there was little if any love for those years. Richard Schierloh, a designer for Ford back then, once said in an interview that he had attended a meeting about the '58s. The person talking about them said that the first several thousand '58s they built should have been pushed into the Rouge River. They had serious integrity problems because the automated welding equipment at Wixom was malfunctioning, forcing dealers to rent out every bit of welding equipment they could across the country to fix welding defects in the cars when customers brought them back. I would like to think that those which still survive have already gone through those pains and had them fixed, but you never can tell.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I understand the love that people have for these cars. I have seen and met the people at shows who own them. They are proud people, who deserve being called that, because their pride is real. I hang out with Zephyr, Capri, Mark IV and slabside people, and the Zephyr guy (my brother) is apt to say after he's had a pop or two, that the designers "sobered up some" when they came out with the sixty one. In a world where fins still ruled, the 61 really was "Trim size" and "Understated" when it came out. A man who is now dead, called them slant eyed monsters. That is just plain wrong even if he was a WWII vet in the Pacific Arena. But we dared not tell him. He also had racial problems and fancied himself as a patriot opposed to immigration, even though his last name indicated that his family came from another place. We all know someone like this. Wayne
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

Absolutely love these cars! I personally would love to own a 1958 convertible. 🙂 I am guessing that a 1960 is the one to own because all the bugs were worked out?
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

No 58-60 is without problems at this age. All are hard to find parts for and pretty much a restorer's challenge.