"Some of my best friends... own Cadillacs" LOL

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

"Some of my best friends... own Cadillacs" LOL

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

I wrote subject line in jest, as in "some of my best friends are Democrats". So, from this, understand that I am not anti-FoMoCo. I am not "knocking" Ford products. I've probably owned more FoMoCos than anything else. Anyway, my local L-M dealer confirmed the original gauges of the battery cables for an '88 TC, to wit:

But I have to wonder, and ask: what was the "logic" of Lincoln engineers to ordain FOUR-gauge cables from the battery, to the starting solenoid / switch.. and then from said device to the starter.... all with four-gauge cables.... but then, most incredibly, specified only a SIX-gauge negative cable from the engine block to the battery??? Since current flow must be in a complete circle, and our cars are have only a nominal 12 volts [13.5 in reality] pushing the needed amperes of current, why this engineering inconsistency?
Last edited by Gerald F. Chase on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: "Some of my best friends... own Cadillacs" LOL

Post by JimA »

Longer runs need bigger cables?
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

JimA wrote:Longer runs need bigger cables?
Bingo!
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

In keeping with the theme above that I composed.... I note that, though RWD Cadillacs have often had slightly-longer wheelbases than Town Cars, the rear seat backs are far superior in Lincolns than Cadillacs... because Cadillac seat backs have terrible curvature versus Lincoln rear seat back are much straighter --- when viewed from the side, horizontally. Open a rear door and study the shape of the seatback, from near door opening to far door opening. Cadillac seat backs are so extremely curved that it makes it quite UNcomfortable for three in the rear seat: the outboard passengers' spines are twisted inward, toward the center of the car. In the superior Lincoln design, they're almost totally straight.. until the last couple inches near the door, for a bolster. IDK: this is just something that I got in that habit of looking at.