OFFICIAL THREAD: Gas Prices, your Lincoln, and you

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: OFFICIAL THREAD: Gas Prices, your Lincoln, and you

Post by sauceman »

It was down to 86 cents a litre on the rez yesterday.

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
trouble
Frequent Contributor

fuel prices

Post by trouble »

fuel is very cheap here in Melbourne Australia at the moment $1,22 ltr for 98 oct, so i'm get'n some driving done..
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: fuel prices

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The cost of fuel does not reduce how much I drive my Lincoln. I paid too much to buy it to let the car sit.

Currently around US$2.99 for premium 93 at Costco.
trouble
Frequent Contributor

Post by trouble »

no the cost doesn't stop me but it sure is good when the price falls,,makes me drive more.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

$1.75 per gallon currently. I guess I'll have to get the Lincoln out for a complete fill up of tank, this weekend. Get it while the gettin' is good.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Fast-forward 5-and-a-half years, the gettin' ain't so good anymore; quite the contrary, in fact. In my spot, 87 octane is now at $3.74 a gallon and no reprieve in sight.
But there is a way to mitigate the choking effect on the wallet, however slightly. Instead of paying an extra dollar a gallon for 92 octane, get a $3.50 bottle of Gumout octane booster, pour that in at your fill-up, and then tank up with 87 octane. Do that at every fill-up, and you keep the higher octane rating constant. I've been doing that ever since the 87 prices crossed the $3 mark (well, actually longer, like last November, as soon as I learned that the Sapp station had deleted its 89-octane offering when they renovated all their pumps), and I've had zero side-effects on Frankenstein's new engine. I've done the math on it: I save a good $6, more or less (but usually more), doing that instead of buying premium which is at least as bad as, or worse than, even diesel's prices at times. You can find it at Wal-Mart for the best price, right next to the STP offering (which is a good dollar more than Gumout's, but would still make for a saving over tanking up with straight premium). That used to be an impractical means of keeping the octane high, back in a time when there was only a 10¢-to-20¢ difference in prices between octanes; no longer the case. Trust me, with the ridiculous price gaps that now exist between octanes, using an octane-boosting additive is more economical nowadays.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Let's Go Brandon!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:lol: In-deed!!

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Traveling right now, I just paid $1.80/litre on Vancouver Island, It's over 2 bucks on the mainland! Brace yourselves, it looks like more to come!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
mlj427
Frequent Contributor

Post by mlj427 »

The closest stations to me in southern Maryland. These are for regular gas. Premium is $4.99
Attachments
CDFE08D3-5D93-4BEF-B93E-49725FF0D35E.jpeg
1972 Lincoln Continental coupe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I topped off my 66 for winter storage at $3.50 for premium back in October. I think it’s $4.50 now in the Detroit area.

Good thing my daily is electric. Wish my 66 was electric.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

We've now broken the previous record high average price for regular unleaded. The record had been $4.11/gallon in 2008 and we're now at $4.17/gallon. Of course, $4.11 in 2008 is actually more like $5.29 in today's dollars so we're not really at 2008 levels quite yet.

The current national average for premium is $4.74/gallon.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

With the absurd policies of the political left and environmentalist whackos, it would appear it is only going to get worse as the year rolls on. Strangling domestic energy production is not going to force people into electric cars, at least in the short term, it will simply tank the economy. And the people who are hurt the worst by this are the very people the left says they are championing and protecting. :roll:
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:clap: Glad somebody besides me dares to state the real facts behind this ordeal which affects all of us. Something else, too: Because AC current has also gone way-D-F up, a plug-in, battery-powered car is not much consolation anyway. What you don't pay in gasoline fill-ups, you pay (and then some) in your home power bill. Some wanted this, so I hope they like what they wanted. I'm part of that group that didn't want this...but all of us will suffer the consequences.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimA »

... but all of us will suffer the consequences.

Yep. Folks who can't afford an EV will subsidize those that can. We'll also pay for road construction and maintenance thru gas taxes, fed-funded charging stations, generation capacity upgrades, and grid expansion. Good deal for EV buyers.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”